mitsubishi picture really any better than toshiba? (55315 vs 57H94)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JustinHoMi, Jun 8, 2005.

1. JustinHoMi

JustinHoMi Auditioning

Hey guys,

I'm going to pick up a new tv today, and I've narrowed it down to the Mitsubishi 55315 and the Toshiba 57H94. Unfortunately, I can't get a good side-by-side comparison of the picture, so you guys are my eyes.

Based on features alone, I'm strongly leaning towards the Toshiba. The built-in tuner, cablecard, ability to accept 720p, and a few other neat features have nearly convinced me... but I'm not going to be able to return the TV, so I want to get this right on the first shot!

I am getting special pricing, so the Toshiba is only $400 more than the Mitsu... and there really isn't an option to get any tv other than these two, based on MY price difference.

Anyways, can you guys give me any suggestions? How signifiant is the difference in picture quality? Is there anything about either TV that could cause a problem?

Thanks a lot,
    Justin

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

This is like asking whether we prefer blondes or brunettes. Which one looks and works better for you is the only important opinion.

I own a Mitsubishi and love it. I wouldn't think any worse of someone that bought a Toshiba instead if it works better for them.

I highly, highly suggest you view each picture before you decide on one and then make your choice. Each HDTV maker has it's own 'flavor' or look, be sure you get the one your eye likes before you take ownership.

Good luck!

3. JustinHoMi

JustinHoMi Auditioning

Oh yeah. I like blonds better. Does this mean mitsubishi or toshiba? [​IMG]

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I am in the same boat as Joe. The best is going to be the best set to you and what the overall picture looks like to you. It sounds to me that you like the overall picture quality of the Toshiba and its features so for you it sounds like the better deal. I own a Mits myself and I found for me that it gave me the best picture. Make sure when you get it home that you can return it if you aren't happy with the picture.

Parker

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

As Joe and Parker suggested, to a certain extent, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That is not to say that there are not certain standards for both physical beauty and TV picture quality. It is well known that facial symmetry is universally equated with facial beauty. Large, widely set eyes, smallish nose, small chin, are also considered to be very feminine. In one study, Halle Berry was found to have a face of beauty that appealed not only to Americans, but people of all nationalities.

Not that I have much interest in beautiful women [​IMG] .

There are also certain qualities in TV pictures that are considered vital to good picture quality. Ability to resolove detail, high contrast, good black level ability, proper color reproduction, grey scale tracking, good geometry, etc.

Justin

If you have seen the Toshiba and it looked good to you, it should be fine and has a great feature set.

6. JustinHoMi

JustinHoMi Auditioning

Well, the problem I have is that it's not possible to get a good estimate from a department store... and probably not from most home theater places either. Best Buy is the only place that has both tvs (that I'm aware of), and the lighting is awful. Not to mention the Mitsu is sitting about 5 feet above my head, so I can't really even see it.

From what I've heard, the toshiba looks better out of the box, but it can't be calibrated as much. The mitsu doesn't look so hot, but it has a much higher potential for tweaking, and in the end looks better(?).

It just doesn't seem possible to get a realistic idea of what the tv will look like in the end, unless you've seen both tvs in the comfort of your own home.

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Justin:

That was one of my points. Ask the guys at Best Buy what their return policy is like. Do they allow you to return the set within a certain time frame if you don't like it?

I know the guys at TV Authority have a deal wear if you get the set home and you don't like it you can return it for a full refund no questions asked.

See what Best Buy will do for you.

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Justin

1) The 2 inch difference in picture size might have at least as much difference in impact as any minor differences in tweaked picture quality.

2) Are you really planning on spending up to $550 for an ISF?

For what it is worth, when Consumer Reports tested CRT RPTVs, Sony was the best. Now that Forum Moderator and ISF tech Gregg Loewen has done an ISF for Consumer Reports and seen their labs and met their engineers, he has a lot of respect for their testing results.

If you were willing to go a different route, OneCall has the Sony 57WS520 for $1359.88 (with DADGRAD05 coupon) plus shipping (no tax). Since you are telling us you can't really see the Tosh or the Mitsu and you won't be returning whatever you get....

I got my Toshiba 65H84 from OneCall. Picture quality is excellent and I choose not to spend $550 for ISF.

9. JustinHoMi

JustinHoMi Auditioning

Phew, $550? I thought they were more in the neighborhood of $200.

As it turns out, we're not going to be able to get the deal we were told, so we're shopping around a little more. I think the 55315 may actually be the only one in our price range now [​IMG].

I found a floor model 55315 at Sears for $1049, which is pretty hard to turn down. Even with their warranty it would be cheaper than buying it anywhere else. I'm not crazy about buying a floor model, but with that warranty, I think I'd be safe.

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

How much is the floor model with warranty, tax, and any delivery charges?

11. JustinHoMi

JustinHoMi Auditioning

We ended up talking them into taking another 10% off of it (with the agreement that we would get the 5yr warranty instead of the 3yr).

So the TV was $944, 5yr warranty $489. We moved it ourself using a rented Home Depot truck, which cost $21.

So I guess the total, including shipping came out to about $1550. I'm thrilled!