What's new

Mitsubishi Internal Scaler? (1 Viewer)

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
I read in Stereophile's Guide to HT, that the Mitsubishi Diamond (WS-65909) has a built-in internal scaler for standard def (ie. digital cable) signals. See:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/showarchives.cgi?80

I used the coax output on the Directv receiver, and plugged it into the AntA coax input of the TV, and it looks even worse than using a crappy S-Video cable. It does not appear that the image was "upconverted" to 480p using the coaxial input to me, but I could be wrong. I tried using the DTV input as well, but it won't accept the signal because it's NTSC, maybe?

Has anyone figured out how to use this scaler, or is it even possible to use it for Directv broadcasts? I've checked the archives, did internet searches, and even emailed Stereophile (they never emailed me back), with no luck. Man, I love to HATE HT! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The WS-65909 converts all standard-definition programming to 480-line progressive scan using an internal scaler.
This is just bad wording. What they are referring to is the line doubler, or deinterlacer that converts 480i to 480p. Any source that comes in as 480i will automatically be upconverted to 480p by the line doubler. Mitsubishi is known for having a not so great line doubler. The line doubling is automatic on 480i sources such as DirecTV. In fairness to the mitsubishi, Directv and regular cable are very compressed and the signals are bad, so they just do not look good on HDTV sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks