Mitsubishi, Hitachi, or Panasonic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kurt Wasson, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Kurt Wasson

Kurt Wasson Auditioning

Given the same prices, which widescreen hdtv is the best?

Mitsubishi..WT 46809 46"

Hitachi..43UWX10B 43"

Panasonic..PT-47WX49 47"

Does anyone have any information on ease of set up, convergence, calibration, SVM enabling and disabling, or any other information that can help with our decision to buy one of the above widescreen hdtv(s)?

2. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

3. Kurt Wasson

Kurt Wasson Auditioning

Thanks Rik....

I registered there a few minutes ago. I have been looking through the post, but I don't know how to post a new thread.

4. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

They each their own little pros and cons if you ask me. As for Convergence systems, I like the Mitsu the best, 64 manual points of convergence, the Hitachi has 8,192 automatic points, and the Panasonic 9 manual points. The Magic Focus system on the Hitachi is nice, but I personally prefer being able to tweak everything myself.

Also the Panasonic wx49 does not come with the screen protector, you can get it with wx51 model which usually runs a couple hundred more.

Another thing to consider is that the Hitachi and Mitsu are both designed to be set on stands, giving you some room to store a couple components whereas the Panasonic is a stand alone unit.

As far as picture quality goes between them all, I've spent some time with the Panasonic, and it does a good job, but looks a little grainy in spots to me. The Mitsubishi does a good all around job if you ask me, but I think the Hitachi has the best the picture. hope to help.

5. Kurt Wasson

Kurt Wasson Auditioning

Thanks Dave. Another one that I am looking at is the Pioneer SD 533HD5. I have been researching the threads about the different HDTV's. This Pioneer set seems to come up quite a bit as being one of the best. It is a little more expensive, but I am willing to pay the extra $$, if in fact it is a good HDTV. If you have any info on the 533 can y ou let me know? Thanks

6. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

Magic Focus on Hitachi does not work. A co-worker has the UWX and my father an SWX. If I were to recommend a new set, I say consider Mits, Pioneer, and Toshiba (I have Mits). Unless you don't mind entering the service mode for manual 64 pt convergence of the Hitachi or Panasonic.

7. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

Where can I find info on how to enter the service mode? I have a 3 year old Hitachi and a friends just bought a brand new widescreen (that bastard!) and we'd both like to be able to do this.

8. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator