What's new

Mitsubishi DD-6030 Problems (1 Viewer)

Scott Stolpa

Auditioning
I recently purchased a Mitsubishi DD-6030 pregressive scan DVD player to go with a new Sony Widescreen HDTV. It works fine for the most part except for one thing. The picture always chops off an inch or so on each side of the screen. It gives an apect ratio of about 2.1:1 on movies that should be 2.35:1. It also does the same thing on 1.85:1 movies, but I haven't measured what it is doing there. I can get it to the right size by zooming out once, but I do not want to have to do this every time I watch a movie. It also leaves a small amount of room on each side of the screen when i zoom out. Not a lot, but it is noticeable. Does anyone know anyway to fix this? Should I just live with it or should I return it for a more compatible DVD player? Any help would be much appreciated.

Dale B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi scott. I just bought the same player yesterday. On page 58 of your manual check out the progressive 4:3 output on the top right of the page. It says something that may be helpful about the bars on the sides. Hope this helps. I have mine set at full.

Scott Stolpa

Auditioning
No luck. My output is set at full. I think I have been through all the options in the manual, and I cannot find anything that will help.

Scott

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott, have you checked the overscan (or underscan) of your TV? Maybe the problem is your TV and not the DVD player. Just a thought.

Hugo

Craig W

Second Unit
Hugo is correct. Most of these problems are attributed to the overscanning in the set. I am fairly confident that the DVD is sending the full video signal to the set, but the overscan on the TV set at the factory was set very high. It's not unusual to see overscan at 20 percent out of the box.

Also sometimes studio will slightly crop their movies so when they say 2.35: on the box in reality its closer to 2.20:1.

Overscan can be adjusted if you can get in the service menu and then use a calibration disc like Video Essentials or Avia. If you are uncomfortable doing this yourself you may want to call service out to your place or spend the money to have an ISF tech come and calibrate your set.

Typically you want a little overscan to hide some of the synch signals. Most usually shoot for between 3% and 5% overscan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks