Mitsubishi 55411 - grain problem? help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cody_W, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Cody_W

Cody_W Auditioning

I just purchased a 55411, but on some DVDs it looks pretty grainy. While Toy Story looks great, Star Trek: Isurrection and Pearl Harbor don't have a really sharp, crisp picture as I have seen on my some of friend's sets. I've used Avia and tweaked with the convergence, but I can't get it to look crystal clear as it should. Any suggestions? I'm using a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player. Progressive out is on. There has to be something I'm not doing right....

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Cody,

Many DVDs are "grainy". I'm not familiar with those titles but if toy story looks great then the set is fine.

Also make sure SVM is off and your sharpness should be in the middle.

3. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Give it a week or two to break in, then take another look. Other things to look into: Make sure the DVD player is set to 16:9 output. I'd also recommend turning SVM off as John said, but put the sharpness all the way down. And yes, some films on DVD are just grainy and there's nothing you can do about it.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Many dvds are grainy because the original film was intentionally photographed to produce film grain--check out Godfather II or AI sometime.

You finally have a tv with high enough resolution to make this film grain visible--a good thing, not a bad thing.

5. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Cody- Do a search on 55411 and you will find several threads from August and September where we discussed this. Suffice to say, it's like Steve says above - you are now seeing what you couldn't see in detail before. Also, this set takes a few weeks to break in and settle down the CRT's. DO check the threads so that you can see others have had the same questions as you and maybe feel a little better [​IMG]
    Good luck!
    Matt