What's new

Mitsubishi 46809, Good Choice? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy B.

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to start my first HT system. Unfortunately I am new at this, and have been trying to do as much forum reading/research as I can. This will be an upgrade from a 27" tv. This is going into a 12' x 10' room, which is our main living room. I will be setting about 9' - 10' away from where the tv will be. The majority of our tv watching is regular cable, about 65%, about 25% is DVD watching, and about 10% gaming. We want to get into a tv that we are not going to have to worry about upgrading when we move in a year or two, and go to a bit larger room. We are also VERY budget minded! I can pick up a new Mitsubishi 46809 for $1,500 + tax, and stand for it. I have read in a few different forums that this tv does have red push? What exactly does that mean? Also, I've heard it has awesome features if you're really into tinkering....being new, I'm not so sure this would be the best "first" tv for us? I want something that is ready to go out of the box, as I do not want to do a lot of fiddling, although I do feel I am capable if necessary. Does anyone have any other suggestions for our first HDTV? Maybe go bigger or smaller? Diff. brand? Diff. model? Thanks in advance for all the input!

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
Mitsus do not need a lot of "fiddling" right out of the box - they actually look darn good without much adjustment (I'd still recommend you immediately turn the contrast down to %50, and get a calibration DVD, see below). Mitsus are great and this is a nice TV. Don't let all the "red push" and calibration talk dissuade you from this TV. The size of room and viewing distances you mentioned are a good match for this TV. I would highly recommend it, especially at the price you noted (is it new at that price, or "open box?").

Red push refers to a TV's tendency to include a bit more red in the picture than should be there in a completely neutral image. The reason most TV manufacturers -- including Mitsubishi -- build this into the sets is quite simple: most people think a picture looks better that way. It may not be an accurate picture, but it looks good and that's all that matters to the manufacturer and 80% of its customers. So even though it's a good thing to be aware of what red push is, don't let these forums scare you into thinking it's a big, major problem. It isn't.

Keep in mind that most of the people who post and read on these forums fall into three categories: they are either super-tweaks who know way too much about this stuff and demand perfection, or they don't really know anything and just repeat the phrases they read and hear elsewhere to sound smart. The third, and largest, category of home theater folks are the rest of us who are just trying to read and learn about home theater and get the most out of their money.

If you catch the bug, you may eventually move from the third category and join those of us in the first, and at that point, by all means hire an ISF (imaging science foundation) tech to come out and calibrate your set, which among other things, will remove the red push. It is money well spent, when you do this, the Mitsu 46809 will look as good or better than any RPTV around the same size. But until you reach the level where you are that demanding, go buy an Avia or Video Essentials DVD and use that to set up the tint, contrast, brightness, and sharpness settings on your TV. You may be very pleased with that picture and see no reason to go any further, and that's cool. So I'd say, buy the Mitsu without any reservations and enjoy! Hope this helped!

Jeremy B.

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jim,

Thanks a lot for the input. Just wanted to make a correction, the room is actually 14 x 12, not 12 x 10. I dont think that is really going to make a difference though, as seating will still be about the same distance.

I did see a lot about the DVD's that are available for calibration, and I think this is going to be my best choice. Not sure how much an ISF would cost around here, but I am sure it would be a pretty penny, and probably not something I will need, at least to start out with.

The tv is would be a brand new unopened box. I have a friend who works at HHGregg who is going to take care of me on that end. The only downfall I am seeing to the Mitsu now is having to spend the extra $$$ for the stand that is specially made for it.

The tv will probably sit without surround for a couple months. After I get some more cash saved back up I will probably put an Onkyo-650 HTiB on it. I am going to go to CC today to demo one. The reason I am going a bit cheaper on the Audio side is I don't see this becoming a hobby for me. I already have three VERY expensive hobbies, and I'm hoping this one does not turn into a 4th. We are just wanting something nice, that doesn't need a lot of tweaking, and that we can enjoy a nice "theater-like" setting to watch movies/tv in.

One more thing.......HHGregg offers a service deal that I can purchase for 5 years, that will cover the unit top to bottom, and includes a yearly maintenance to where they will come out and clean the tv inside and out, and do any kind of re-adjusting, etc. I believe it is $499, worth it?

Thanks again for the advice and help!

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
I personally would recommend some sort of extended service plan on any big screen TV, but $500 for a less-than $2000 TV sounds awful high. Typically around 10-15% of the TV's cost is about right for those types of 5-year plans, which means even if you paid full rip on the TV ($1999) you should only expect to pay $200-300 to cover it.

You can put the 46809 on any stand... you don't need to buy the $300 stand Mitsu offers. Just get it a foot or so off the ground. Two cinder blocks will do the trick. Even if you get the Mitsu stand, your buddy is still taking care of you, because with the $300 stand added in you're still below the MSRP for the TV itself. Just don't let him dick you over on the service plan... yes, you should buy one, but not for 1/3 the cost of the TV.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 46807 that I bought in preference to the 55807 that at the time was only $200 more, being on sale (the 46" was not). I bought the 46 because of the size of my room. some time on, I have decided that I could have easily accomodated a 55". I used to sit about 9' from the TV, but have since moved to within 7', and I find no degradation in image quality, but a dramatic increase in visual impact. At the 9' viewing distance, I could have easily accomodated a 55". Please keep in mind that the 55" and the 46" are virtually the same depth. from front to back. and they are DEEP.

As to the stand, I bought the TV without the Mitsubishi stand because I was going to get something else. A year later, I still had not found a stand that had adequate depth AND weight capacity. By the time I decided that I had to buy a Mitsubishi stand, it was 15 months after I had bought the TV and the 807 stand was no longer available. I ended up getting the 809 stand which is exactly the right shape and size and has correct slots for the 46807's mounting feet, but is the 809's dark shade of gray, not the complete black of the 807. Before you decline to buy the mitsubishi stand, I suggest you look around to make sure you have an alternative selected. You might be able to get them to include the Mitsubishi stand at a discounted price.

I bargained hard and strong for my TV, eventually getting it for $2800, when MSRP was $3500. It was ridiculous. The affair was like buying a car. Offers, counter offers, IMMENSE pressure to buy the extended warranty plan, I leave, they let me leave and then call me back, and on and on it went. It was pathetic. I did NOT get the extended warranty and I have not needed it. My TV shows no signs of dying, and I have had no trouble with it AT all.

I bought the TV at Tweeter, where I also bought one of the very first DVD-Audio players that had progressive scan. THe machine had an MSRP of $1000 (though I paid less) and I bought the tweeter extended warranty for it. The player has been in for repair under the extended warranty for the same problem 4 times but remains dysfunctional. its been in the shop more than it has been in my home. This last time Tweeter said "no problem found" so I didn't even bother to go pick it up. I've given up on it and bought a cheapie Sony at walmart to tide me over till universal players with full bass management become common. The reason I mention this is that if it was my TV that had come to need repair under tweeter's extended warranty and policies, between the hassle and cost of shiping it every time ("I have to bring it in") and the frustration of not getting results to my satisfaction, I would have gone broke and insane. I am very glad that I did not get the extended warranty, and I am very glad that I have not needed it. Even if my TV blows up tommorow, I will not regret having passed up on the extended warranty. The frustration and annoyance that Tweeter put me through for nearly two years on a DVD player is not something I care to get involved with on a big TV.

Jeremy B.

Stunt Coordinator
I will try to deal hard on the service warranty, as I know as soon as I pass on it, I will need it. That is just the way my luck goes. I am also checking out what I can get the 48311 for, as I wouldn't need the stand for that. I may even check out the 55's tonight or tomorrow. If I go the 55", that just the more longer I am going to have to wait for surround, etc........But I would probably be happier in the long run. Thanks a lot for all of your guy's help, it is much appreciated!

Forgot to mention, I stopped in at Best Buy yesterday, and they were really pushing the Toshiba (51 maybe?), over the Mitsu A48, and the Sony. Any advantages of going the Toshiba route?

Jeremy B.

Stunt Coordinator
Well.......I think I got my 46809 deal as low as I can get my friend down to. Here is what is being offered:

Mitsubishi 46809 (new, unopened box) $1400.00
Special 46809 stand $50.00 (new, unopened box)
5yr top to bottom warranty $400.00
Delivery $0.00

What do you guys think?

Should I jump on it or save my pennies to get into the 55" the first of the year?

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
I'd take that deal. Looks like he's selling you the TV and the stand pretty much at cost, and making it up with the warranty. I'd say that's a pretty fair deal for a nice TV. If you were paying full rip on everything I'd say ask for a better deal on the warranty, but since you're getting a very sweet price on the gear itself I'd say take it with the warranty at that price. He's really taking care of you pretty good with that deal.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
I paid $3125 tax for my 46807 inc stand and delivery, no warranty. 2 years later, you're getting the essentially same thing for $1850. I'd take it. But I'd first see his offer on the 55" as well.

Jeremy B.

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a quote on the 55" models:

55411- $2100.00
44311- $2000.00

Both with free shipping still. About a $700 difference after the service agreement is paid. Not sure if 9" is worth that or not?

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
9" bigger? pooh. A 55" screen is about 43% bigger in terms of area than a 46". That is a HUGE difference. You want to see the math?
If I was offered the chance to get a 55" for $700 plus my 46" as a trade in, I would jump on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks