What's new

Mitsubishi 3-D Adapter (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Always figured I could get this when I needed it, and with Dial M coming out, I decided it was time - only now it seems to be discontinued and my only option is to buy a full retail price kit which costs almost what I paid for the TV!
Anyone have any suggestions besides finding one of the old Panny Blu players that does checkerboard? I'd like to be able to watch Cable 3D as well if I'm going to get glasses and all.
I'd rather avoid the kit and find a better deal on glasses/emitter (or get DLP link glasses), and just get the 3DA-1 adapter for the TV.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
What model is your Mits? My 73838 (and all 838 models) had a software update that negated the need for the 3D converter attachment, allowing the use of DLP Link glasses.
Barring that, it looks like what you need is here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mitsubishi+3d+starter+kit&sprefix=mitsubishi+3D%2Caps%2C292

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I have a 60638, the cheaper model. I don't think it can be upgraded, but I will investigate.
You could always use the DLP link glasses, you're just limited to sources that output in checkerboard, like the one Panasonic BD player. The adapter translates the other forms of 3D input into checkerboard format for the TV.
I've seen the kit and that is the last resort. I hate buying a $400 kit for a $550 TV. The only part you really need of the kit USED to be sold on its own for $99. The rest of the money covers an IR emitter and 2 sets of glasses and an HDMI cable (and a useless demo disc)
I think with the much lower prices of glasses today if I can get the 3DA-1 adapter on its own somewhere I can build the rest of what I'd want for way cheaper (or just go with DLP link glasses as you suggest)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
That Amazon link had stand-alone IR emitters, supposedly that work for Mits, for $25. I'm not sure if that is equivalent to what you get in the (overpriced) starter kits. They may also be tied to a certain brand of glasses.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I've seen those as well. I guess I am not going to find the stand alone adapter though, and will have to pony up for my failure to act in time last year.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
There have been a lot of complaints about DLP link glasses adding a wierd hue to movies. I think you are better off with IR glasses, in which case getting the adapter, 2 glasses and the IR emitter for approx. $300 is not too bad. Later you can pick up another 2 glasses with all of the Shrek movies for about $100 by purchasing the older Samsung starter kit that contains the same glasses.
I enjoy 3D and really think it's worth it. However, I have the WD-73838, so I do not need the adapter.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Thanks Dennis, yes, at least it would be "one stop shopping" but the price has come way down on glasses since this kit was made and priced. Now that the kits are rare the one vendor that Mitsubishi seems to have sold their stock to is jacking the price up.
If I just had the adapter, then I could buy 4 glasses and an IR emitter (or perhaps even more) for the price of that kit. (basically if I can get a USED kit for $300, then I am paying $200 for 2 pairs of used glasses and the emitter. I can get 4 glasses and a universal emitter for something like $140 on Amazon right now)
The other issue I have to figure out is that with the kit glasses and emitter, am I locked into a particular brand? the newer emitters that are "universal" seem to work with many types of glasses, so that my friends with their own 3D setups can just bring their personal glasses along for a viewing rather than me having to have enough pairs for everyone...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Beh, I have a 73831 and I thi k that was the last model that is not upgradable in any way to 3D.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That must be super frustrating. I would consider buying another set if I got a similar deal since I know I could sell mine for a good price - but I guess 60" was "too small" so they don't make my size anymore. There is no WAY I could get a bigger set in my apartment without it becoming ridiculous. I'd have to get rid of a couch or something and then we'd have to watch from the floor lol.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I also have a 57831...no 3D on that set at all. That was from 2006, well before the 3D standards were ironed out.
I've never had color problems with DLP Link glasses.
Mitsubishi does not even make 65-inch class sets anymore. They did last year. Now, the smallest DLP set they offer is 73-inches.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yeah I did look into replacing my 60", not that I can really afford it, but just so I would be informed. Seems like my TV is the last of the 60" ones, maybe the higher "trim" models could be firmware updated but I have the basic set that can't be fine calibrated and it looks like no update possible, so going to need that adapter one way or another.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I am not sure that any "universal" emitter can emit all of the protocols simultaneously. The trick is to get universal glasses, which have a button that rotates through all the protocols until it syncs with the one of the emitter being watched.
The kit breakdown as I see it is $100 for adapter, $80 for emitter and $60 ea for glasses, if you get a kit for $300.
On another note, I have been looking for a 60738 or 65738 for my cabin, which would not comfortably accommodate a 73" screen. It is a real bummer that Mitsubishi discontinued their smaller sets. I am hopeful of eventually finding a 60738 or 65738 which will allow me to take my glasses to the cabin when I go, without the need to find an adapter.
Good luck -- I do believe you will enjoy it once you are set up.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm defintiely still learning about how the emitters and glasses work. Thanks for the info.
The only problem with $300 is, that is for a used setup. I'm good to buy a lot of things used but for some reason this is something I'd rather buy new. That puts me up to $420-$450, so $100 for the adapter, then say $100 for the emitter, then thats $110-$125 each for the glasses. There are WAY better deals if I can get an adapter singly.
Maybe I have to wait for someone with an emitter/tv to have the TV die and they don't want to replace it, and so they will sell just the adapter. I just don't really want used glasses.
I HAVE seen the TV with 3D and it is stunning. About a year ago, I was able to jury-rig the Nvidia glasses and setup using my computer into sort of working, but it was too complicated and finicky to do on a regular basis and to spend that much for, so I ended up taking back after 2 days.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Finally found one on eBay!! Wish me luck...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160863858074&autorefresh=true#ht_500wt_922

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Thanks to everyone who chimed in here, I did win that auction, and ended up all in for $245 with shipping. The seller didn't realize he had to go to PayPal and take the money so I lost like 3 days where it didn't ship and so now with the weekend it will probably go out Monday so hopefully I will have this in my hands by Wednesday or Thursday and can report back. The kit I got is missing like the stand for the converter and the remote, but I figure I can get by without those for that price, and they even have a remote selling on there if I really want it.
Have picked up Hugo, Tintin, Cave of Forgotten Dreams and Green Hornet (it was $10 so why not). Had Avatar already in 3D so ready to have a mini festival. The only other titles out I would get would be Captain America and Tron, but really waiting for Titanic and Dial M :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
And to wrap this up on my end - the set came today. It took a few hours to get the adapter intergrated into my system, I had to troubleshoot settings, connections and while the 3d coming from my computer worked immediately, the BD player I think must have had a 1.3 cable since a trip to Fry's and a new $40 cable later everything finally worked.
So glad I waited to watch Avatar until I could see 3D, I watched the first hour and it was pretty great (the 3D at least).
Now to clean out my DVR so it doesn't overflow so I can watch more 3D :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.