Mitsubishi 2003 models

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Navid, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Navid

Navid Agent

How do the Mitsubishi Gold-Plus WS-65411 and Platinum-Plus WS-65611, or even the Platinum WS-65511 compare the Toshiba new H82, like the 65H82.

I am returning the 65H82 to Best Buy because of a problem.

Are the new Mitsubishi's better? I might have to settle for Gold-Plus 65".

2. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Navid,
    You'd probably get better responses if you asked more specific questions about what you are looking for. I've got a 55311 and it's a great set, but I had also considered a Toshiba for some time.

What was wrong with your set?

Matt

3. Navid

Navid Agent

I only want Toshiba or Mitsubishi, but I have hot really checked or been attracted to Hitachi. It must be 65" with a split cabinet design. Those are the only TVs that are capable of being moved up my stairs.. Even a 53-57 inch TV cannot go up their because they don't have split cabinet.

Between the Mitsubishi Gold + or Platinum + and the Toshiba H82..

I want highest DVD playback quality.

I will be primarily watching DVDs with a progressive scan Denon DVD-3800. So I am thinking it is more dependent on the Denon.

I do not care about getting an Integrated HD tuner.

I want the set with the best 480i upconversion. I know Toshiba says their H82s upconvert 480i to 540p, but that is kinda deceptive. Most non-progressive sources are not gonna take advantage of 540p.. VCRs don't have that many lines, DVD's are probably around 480, Analog cable is probably half the lines as DVD.

I also want one with the most clarity and the sharpest picuture. From what I saw, the comparable Gold Series was sharper and more natural looking than the Toshiba H82. It only makes me believe that the Gold + or Platinum + are incredible.

Looks are not a huge deal, but the Mitsubishi looked a hell of a lot better than the Toshiba.

Sound is not a big deal.

User Interface is not a big deal. But I do want fully configureable TV. I don't like cut down configurations.

I am about to go look at them again.

4. Navid

Navid Agent

What is wrong with my Toshiba is that there are 3 red-green-blue ovals in a consecutive pattern at the top right corner of the screen. I do not know what caused it. But I didn't notice it at first. I might have just been overly excited. It looks sorta as if a magnetic field caused this due to an unshielded speaker, but that cannot be the case. I have a shielded center channel. It is not fixable by messing with the convergence or TouchFocus. Those are set perfectly. It almost looks as if it needs to be degaussed, but how? And why the hell would this be a problem with RPTVs if it is so? Regardless, I don't care.. Best Buy allows easy no question returns in 30 days. They are letting me return it. I just have to make a final decision to replace it with the same model or get a refund and buy a Mitsubishi. Right now, I am leaning towards the Mitsubishi.

Don't get me wrong, the Toshiba is an excellent TV. It is just that I think the Mitsubishi's might be a little bit better. I also am discouraged when something has already gone wrong with a Toshiba. I strongly believe that Best Buy's delivery partner is at fault.. I think they mishandled it a number of times. They couldn't get the damn thing apart without stressful force. They were shaking it up and just didn't know what they were doing. I believe that they messed up the projection screen when they took it off. I don't want to deal with that damn delivery service from Best Buy. Really, I am just discouraged and not as excited about the Toshiba because of all this.