Mitsu WS, Best Buy A48 vs 48311?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cary G, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Cary G

Cary G Auditioning

One of our Best Buys put out a WS-A48, a brand new Mitsubishi on the floor. The manager is a HDTV fanatic and said that this was a new model and he wanted to open one and put it on the floor. He knows I have been looking for one for a long time, and offered this one to me for 1700. It was on sale for 2090. I did some research and it is identical to the 2002-2003 new gold model 48311, at least physical appearance, remote, and rear input panel. Does anyone know anything about the relationship between BB and Mitsu, such that they would make specific models just for BB?

Sounds like a great price from a brick-n-mortar store, the TV is immaculate, no marks, it only has been on the floor for a week. No manual, but I will get the remote (don't need due to my Pronto).

I went to an HHGregg and they just sneered about the BB models of Mitsus. They act like it is inferior to all other normal brands of Mitsus... I think it is the jealousy that BB could work something out to get their own model, and thus change their profit margin on these TVs.

What would be different between the ws-48311 and BB ws-a48?

Thanks in advance, all info greatly appreciated!

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

The BB Mits models are stripped down, They do not come with all the features that the non BB models have. That is a good price for the Mits though.

3. Cary G

Cary G Auditioning

What features are stripped though? I compared the Mitsu features from their site on the ws-48311 to that of the status from the Best Buy site on the ws-a48. They are identical, with 3 component inputs, and all the other goodies. I am trying to determine what is stripped from the BB model so that I can make a determination of whether I want that one or the Mitsu standard model.

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

There's not a ton of differences and they matter more to some than others. The screens on the the 311 and up series are Color tuned, where they enhance RGB tones. Also, you have the option of changing the settings in the color decoder (magenta, red, cyan, etc) for all 480i signals, which affords an easy fix for Red Push on everything but HD and DVD signals. Having a 55311, I enjoy those features, as it will be some time before it gets ISF'd, and I can do quite a bit on it myself. If you are handy in the service menus and/or plan on getting yours ISF'd relatively soon, both those features don't have much relevance to you and don't provide a great bit of value. The only thing that NOT getting a Best Buy version of a Mitsubishi has going for it hand over fist is the No Interest, No Payments until 2004 financing you can get at Mitsubishi retailers.

Good Luck!

Matt

5. Cary G

Cary G Auditioning

How do I get to the service menus? That sounds like what I want access to!

So it appears that 1700 is a good trade-off for these features, especially since this is my first HDTV, and would not know that I am missing these 2 features. Also, I can get 12 months no interest at BB, so the financing is pretty good too.

6. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

can not turn off scan velocity modulatoron the models at bb

7. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

If Matt's right, and I think he is, that's a huge difference. Would factor heavily in my decision.

Matt

8. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

That will only matter if you do not have a line doubler/scaler ala the IScan PRO which will convert all devices to progressive output. THATS what you really need and then the tv's functions will not matter.

9. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Gary, both Matts are correct. The BB Mits lacks:
    1. The color tuned screen that blocks all colors but
    red, green and blue from entering the TV screen.
    2. The ability to independently change colors in the
    color decoder.
    3. The ability to defeat velocity scan modulation.
    Both are very good sets, but the WS-48311 is better.

Scott

10. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

I would venture to say that the amount of people opting for a small widescreen and using/affording/knowing about an ISCAN would be minimal, at best. I certainly don't advocate against an ISCAN, but I'm talking about as a whole.

Matt

11. KennB

KennB Extra

12. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

If you can't turn off SVM on these models then avoid them like the plague. Also even if you do use an external scaler SVM will still be doing its nasty stuff.

13. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I would suggest anyone looking to get into a Mitsu RPTV try conversing with the folks over here as they are about the biggest group of Mitsu fans you are going to find.