Mitsu WS-A55 HD having display problem.....help!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael-Albert, May 18, 2003.

1. Michael-Albert

Michael-Albert Auditioning

Hello all,

I recently bought a home theater with a Mitsubishi WS-A55 widescreen rear projection HD TV. The picture quality is nowhere near what I believe it should be. In scenes with lots of black areas and shading, I get huge amounts of what I'll call pixelation. Meaning, instead of blending the various shades of light, I see the edges of colored areas. Almost like I can see little pixels making up the shades of light. It comes across as very grainy looking and unblended. This is most noticeable by far when there are black areas on the screen.

I have used various new DVD's, a progressive scan DVD player with progressive scan off and on, and used a different DVD player. None of this has made the picture better. Is there some setting within the TV that I need to fiddle with? I hope there is a solution, because if this is simply how the picture is supposed to look, I'll be sending it back.

2. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Michael, have you calibrated your TV? Try using the AVIA or Video Essential disc to adjust your tv. I believe that would solve your problem. Also, try turning off any video enhance features like SVM or noise reduction. Check your sharpness and contrast setting, they might be too high. Hope taht helps.

Hugo

3. Michael-Albert

Thanks for the reply Hugo. No, I have not calibrated my tv, I have no real idea how to. I can easily get to the settings, I'm just concerned that I'll mess up more than I fix. The "Avia" and "video essential" disk you mentioned, what do they do? Is that a DVD which automatically calibrates the tv? If so, that may be a good option. Also, I was one of the suckers to buy the 4 year warranty on the TV from BB. I may just call them and ask them to fix the problem. Has anyone had luck with this? I really believe this is a simple settings issue, but I have no idea what to trouble shoot.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

The A55 is a Best Buy exclusive model. One drawback to that is that those sets are not able to turn off SVM ( an artificial process that adds extra edge enhancement, especially in light/dark situations)from the user menu like it's cousins 55311, 55411,etc. A service tech could manually do this for you or access your service menu and do it, but I'm not sure if that's covered in your warranty or not.

I have the 55311, have calibrated it with the AVIA disc (which you'll find walks you through step by step), use an interlaced player, and still find the picture wonderful.

For reference sake, pick a common DVD title you see this problem with and site a Chapter and or time and I'll check my system to see if I notice what you are seeing or not.Others might do the same if they wish [​IMG]

Matt

5. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

I have a mass produced version (55511, I believe you have the BB 55411) and it definatly should not look like that. Search on the internet for Mitsubishi Tweaks. Since buying my TV a month ago Ive done an Electrostatic Focus, Manual Focus, convergence, overscan (avia), color decoding (avia), and fooled with the user adjustable inputs (tint, color, sharp, etc..) about 100 times.
    Some people hire a calibrator to come to thier house and professionally 'tweak' thier sets to get it truly within spec.
    Thats a bit expensive and to tell you the truth I have become obsessed with tweaking the set.
    HTF is an excelent site but you might also try a forum that has specific rooms based upon the manufacturer. Home Theater Spot has a huge Mitrsubishi TV based room with hundreds of threads.
    Stick with it, educate yourself on what can be done, because after a couple of days on the net you might know more than the rep that will come out to 'repair' your TV
    Truly working right the Mits picture is absolutly beautiful.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sounds like your brightness and contrast are cranked way too high, which will give colors a washed-out appearance and reveal the banding artifacting you're seeing. If you are still running at the factory-default picture settings, fix it right now. Overdriving your CRTs with cranked-up contrast will shorten their life considerably.

AVIA is available from a number of online stores as well as directly from Ovation Software. But reduce those picture-level controls immediately, even before the disc arrives. (Order the disc today.)

7. Michael-Albert

Shazam!

Thanks for the thoughts all. I checked on the basic visual settings, and Contrast was maxed, so I moved that down to about 50%. The thing that helped the most was moving the Brightness down. It's now at about 25%, and the blacks now look the way they should. Much happier, thanks again.

I still think the picture could be sharper, more clear. I was reading another post on this forum about calibration. The gist from all seemed to be that all TV's need to be calibrated. You can do this yourself (with lots of time invested), or hire a professional (costs about $400). I am very particular about my video and sound, so if this process would indeed yield a better home theater for me, I'm in. Any opinions on this? I know I can get the AVIA disc, but that is the "do it yourself, and it will take a while" area - not sure that's for me.

- Mike

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Professionals can correct the set's grayscale tracking and adjust the focus. And more. In the meantime, reduce the "sharpness" control to or near the minimum. If the set has an "auto-convergence" control of some sort, use it immediately. Even if you have a user menu-enabled multipoint convergence control, it might be best to let a professional perform the procedure first (you sound new to this stuff, so I recommend you watch the tech do the manual convergence).

9. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

You will have to wait a couple of months for your TV to 'break in' before you should have a professional calibration done.

In the meantime buy the Avia disk, research some tweaks, try em, if its not for you or you dont like the results the helpful HTF'ers could recommend a professional calibrator down the line.

BTW. Keep contrast about 30% to avoid burn in. Move brightness up as a result. Avia will actually explain it all.

Also you probably need to research how to fix red push on your set. All faces shouldnt look that pink and turning color down washes everything out.

Convergence on the mits is kinda easy but I suggest you look at the convergence screen and really decide if it looks like something you want to fool with.

You probably need a lens focusing for the blurryness, but wait, remember that on a 55 screen cable and sat. broadcasts are going to look worse than they do on a smaller display.