Mitsu WS-55311 Center Channel weight concern

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Brock, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I have the mitsu tv that I mentioned in the thread subject and I have a DIY center channel that weighs 27lbs. I have searched HTF for information on center channel weight issues but none reffered to a Mitsu set which has a completley flat top. I am worried that my center channel speaker will cause my Mitsu to bow. Could anybody help me out with an opinion or an answer?

Thanks a bunch!!

Chris Brock

2. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

i have heard that it can be a problem with certain sets. could you go with a bracket attached to the wall behind the set, supporting the speaker from the rear? or... build a thin shelf that runs the width of the tv and put 1/4" tall ridges on the ends to transfer the weight to the cabinet corners. minimal visual impact.

ag.

3. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I will probebly end up doing a shelf with small legs on each side. that way the weight of the center channel will be distributed to the sides of the tv. I measured the height of the tv and it is exactly 50" tall at the sides but when i put the center channel on top it is about 1/8" shorter in the middle. so it obviously is a problem. thanks for the help!

4. steve lucchetti

I had the same concern with my Mits WS-42313 placing a center on top. I contacted Mits and they suggested no more than 10 lbs.

5. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

10lbs? I believe that mitsu makes some of the best rptv's, but you would think that they would take into account that most buyers will have some kind of sound system and reinforce the tops a little more. 10lbs wouldnt be much of a center channel!

6. HarryS

HarryS Extra

I have a DIY center that I built that weighs in at @ 40lbs. (It's an Audax design). I had to build a short shelf that goes across the entire top of my Mits 42313. it needed to be supported in the center to keep from bowing badly.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I remember reading about this, i forget where, at like keohi, perhaps. Anyway, the best thing is probably to use a flat strong material underneath, like a big peice of rigid plywood, or metal, or something to distribute the weight over the entire top of the set, so it won't just bend in the middle.

8. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't worry about it. I have a Legacy Audio Silverscreen, which weighs in at 42lbs, and it's been perched on top of my WS-65909 (Mitsu Diamond) for over a year. I think I could stand on top of this TV and not "Bow" it! Maybe the cabinets are different construction (although I doubt it)?

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I had my center channel (which couldn't be much more than 15 lbs.) on top of my 55513 for about a week before I noticed a severe dip in the top of the set! [​IMG] Now there's a "dent" in the top of the picture. Anyone know of a good way to fix it?