What's new

Mitsu WS-48313 issues (1 Viewer)

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Hopefully my descriptions will be accurate.

I've found that on the left side of my screen, when trying to converge blue, the white lines of the 64-point convergence grid are blue on both sides. I can't converge left or right because the blue shows in all directions.

Also, text looks a little blurry most of the time. Text on DVDs and TV is blurry, but the input names and menu items are sharp.

Finally, I took the protective screen off and found the picture to have more depth and to be generally better; however, it seems that chroma bug issues (JVC DVD player) are more noticeable now, at least on Monsters, Inc.

So, are any of these observaions normal; has anyone had similar results? Are these things that can be taken care of myself, or will it need to be ISFed? I've calibrated as best I can with S&V, and I've had the TV for about 2 months. Thanks for indulging me.

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
Take off the front speaker cover. Should be another cover screwed on w/ a few screws. Take it off. Inside you'll find 6 potentiometers. The top 3 are labeled screen. Don't touch them. The bottom 3 are focus for the red, blue and green guns. Go to the basic convergence screen and pull the red crosshair up and to the left and the blue crosshair down and to the right. This will give you all 3 colored guns crosshairs onscreen. Adjust each potentiometer to get the crosshairs as focused as possible. That should fix some of your problem. After you're done do a 64 point convergence. I'd also recommend buying DVE or Avia to calibrate your TV.

Of course if you've got the cash for a ISF calibration then by all means do it. The info I posted above about adjusting focus is much easier than it might sound if your any kind of a tech head.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Thanks, Scott. I tried the focus, but it didn't do anything. The red is focused well, but the green and blue are blurry and don't get any better. Do you recommend anything else, or can I get into the service menu and do anything?

BTW, I won't touch them, but what do the "screen" potentiometers do?

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
I have no idea what the screen pots do but was instructed not to touch them. I highly recommend you post your question over at the spot or avsforum. There are some very knowledgeable Mitsu people who are regulars there. It's where I learned to do the focus. It's possible those 2 guns have problems. There is a different focus that can be done I believe from service menu but I have no idea about how to do it.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dennis, I worked at mits******, and would be more that glad to help you out. I seems to me that you have a problem with focus. I see that you've done some adjustment (above post), that is called electrical focus and the knots you move are called VR adjustments. There is another adjusment for focus, and is called mechanical focus. For this, you will need to open back of your TV. Remove all the screws of the back boards first. After removing the back board, you will see the 3 lenses. Theses lenses can be rotated from side to side. Bring up the convergence grid like you did before, and adjust the lenses. After getting them the best possible, go ahead and do electrical focus one more time (the one with the knots at front). This should take care of the problem. If this doesn't fix your problem, then you could have defective CRT's and I suggest you call an authorized service center.
BTW: The screen potentiometers define your grayscale and you shouldn't mess up with them by any means.

Let me know if you have any more doubts.

Hugo

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Hugo--Thanks for the advice. Before I open up the back, what are my chances of screwing the set up royally if I do this? I'm a little gunshy about this kind of thing.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis, as long as you don't move anything else, or spill beer or lemonade inside your unit, is perfectly safe. Open up the back and take a look around, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then call an authorized service center. But I really think you shouldn't have a problem doing it yourself.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Well, I looked into the set and I see no way of adjusting the focus of the lenses. Am I supposed to loosen the wingnuts and then rotate the lenses?

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dennis, that is correct. I forgot to mention to loosen the wingnuts, then you will be able to rotate the lenses by the wingnuts. Remember to let the TV warn up for at least 40 minutes before you do any adjustments.

Robert*S

Stunt Coordinator
Hugo and Scott - Thanks for the advice. I have a 48413, and I just finished up a focus both electrical and mechanical. I was surprised how easy it was once you got everything removed. I was able to focus in the scan lines on red and green. Blue is a blurry mess. At least it is a sorta kinda focused mess now, but everything looked good when I put in toy story 2. Thanks again.

rob.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Well, I went in and did this finally, but I couldn't make much of an imptovement. Thanks for all your help, Hugo; I appreciate it. If you have anymore tips, I'd love to hear them. Couple more questions:

Are there any settings I should just make in the service menus, or are all those settings depedent on my viewing environment?

Also, on ESPN cable, I get red, green and blue diagonal lines running diagonally on the screen. It's the only channel it happens on, and it used to come in fine. What might cause that?

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dennis, if you still got problems with focus on you left side of the TV after doing the improvements I recommended, and if the un-focus left side is really noticeable while watching the TV, then I suggest getting it to an authorized service center. If the problem is almost null, then I believe you can live with it. There are some variations on CRTs and lenses regarding focus, some are really bad and some are un-noticeable. As long as it doesn't affect you quality image, I think you're ok. Now, regarding adjustments in the service menu, I could only think of the usual ones: brightness, contrast, color, tint and color decoder. All of them you can adjust them in the user menu except for the color decoder.
About the ESPN, I really don't know what could be causing the problem. Did the problem started since the beggining or after a few hours of watching the TV? Have check on other TVs? Have you check connecting another TV to the same cable feed?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks