What's new

Mitsu VS-50609 and Comb Filters (1 Viewer)

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Hi guys,
My buddy just landed a SWEET deal on this brand-new (for 2002 model year) set. That aside, the owner of the store shared an insight with him that seems a bit odd to me.
What do you think?
He said that while the Mits has a great 3D Comb Filter, you end up NOT taking advantage of it when using component inputs from DVD.
In fact, he says that the best picture the Mits can make comes from S-Vid or even COMPOSITE! Mainly because these inputs feed through the good comb filter to really ace the picture.
This is completely new to me. Does it make sense?
The guy seems totaly serious. He sells and has sold RPtv's for years, so any advise would generally have high merits. I'm just suprised, and thus curious to see what you all think.
thanks,
------------------
Sincerely,
Matt
"Just happy to be here."

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Comb filters only are needed for the RF (antenna/cable tv) and composite inputs on any tv. S-video and component video signals don't use them.
A really good comb filter can make a composite video signal look almost as good as the S-video or component video inputs. The only instance in which the composite input could look better than S-video would be the case of an LD player with an s-video output whose internal comb filter is not as good as the one in the tv.
I've had experience with 2 sets with high-quality 3-D comb filters, and the composite input picture and RF input pictures are almost indistinguishable from the S-video picture.
On that Mits, the picture quality will be best on component inputs from a dvd player, followed by S-video inputs. IF it's comb filter is as good as it's cracked up to be, the composite input picture should be damn near as good as the S-video picture.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for the response. THAT is an explanation that makes sense. This guy's statement that Comb Filtered composite would look better than Component threw me for a loop.
I think that he believes what he said, but that he simply prefers a slightly different picture than that given by components. (like those who prefer Sony DVD players for their softer picture over Toshibas and crisper images).
Either way, you've helped me out Steve.
Thanks,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread