What's new

Mitsu versus Pioneer (1 Viewer)

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
This is extending from a previous discussion about Mitsu TV's and the different models at different retails all within the same series.

Now I am debating between a Mitsu Platinum 55" (from Domes in Chesapeake) for 2799 (extended warranty is 500 for 5 years), and a Pioneer 53" for 2500 (Audio Connection, VA Beach, next one down from Elite - the dealer told me the Elite wasn't worth the extra money and at the time didn't know it wasn't in our price range so he's clearly on the level). The Mitsu has an HDTV tuner which is only good for terrestrial broadcasts making it useless for DishNetwork which requires their own HD tuner (at around 500-600), same goes for Cox HD broadcasts (PBS might be an exception).

So the question is, they are both good TV's, I am impressed with the calibration options the end-user has on the Mitsu (RGB, multi-point convergance etc.,) I'm not sure if the Pioneer has these same options yet. Anyone have any opinions on the two makes/models?

Thanks!

TroyRD

Grip
Well heres my .02 and a few random thoughts.

Pioneers are generally regarded as having one of the best stretch modes, if you are going to be watching a lot of SD tv. However at a 299 price difference and only deciding between those two models, and if you are going to primarily watch HD and DVD, I would go for the Mitsubishi since its a newer design and I have heard the picture is comparable to the elites on HD. (The non elite Pioneer design is a couple years old now. Which also means all the bugs are worked out.)

However, for 2500, if you have a Costco near you. You can get the Pioneer 643, and get the 64" version. (actually if memory serves, its a little less than 2500)

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
The Costco near us only lists the RCA Scenium...not a brand I know a whole lot about or really want to! So it looks like it's a bit of swings and roundabouts as far as the two TV's go, older and proven versus newer with possible problems in the future. I also suspect that Pioneer is bringing out a new line as the Pioneer amps at the local shop were just reduced by 150 and the same TV at another shop was 2800.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
You might also consider seeing what price you can get from Sound Approach in Newport News. They are located near the I64/Rt17 interchange on the peninsula. I believe they carry Pioneer and Toshiba RPTVs.

I have dealt with this shop for well over 20yrs and can attest to their great service. They have always given me a great price as well, often close to internet prices.

They also have their own repair shop on site (I've known one of the techs there since the late 1970's) which could mean faster service if needed. I believe Domes sends all their work out, and in my experience, their repair service has been very slow compared to Sound Approach.

Sound Approach also includes some basic calibration (including convergence in all modes with using the appropriate overlays) in their price.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a salesman for Sound Approach.....I am not.....just a very satisfied customer!

JimmyK

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Pioneer and paid $2000 at my local A/V store.I looked at Mits, Toshiba, and Sony also.I thought the Pioneer had the best picture and stretch modes.No DVI input if that matters to you.I am very pleased with this set and would choose it again, but I disagree it is as good as the Elite and IMHO niether is the Mits. Good luck

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
Let me add to me prior post.The Pioneer has RGB in and multi point convergence.You can also turn off the SVM which many consider a big plus.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I forgot to also mention that I've bought a couple items from Digital Sound on Auburn Rd (Norfolk or Va Beach?) and have been happy with the way I was treated there. I've not needed service after the sale, so I don't know how that is there.

I believe they also carry Pioneer.

JimmyK

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
Well after much thinking and just plain looking at the pictures to our eyes (read my wife's mainly as she is a graphic designer and a bit more exacting than I am) we found the Mitsu picture to be clearer and got a great deal with Domes. Sears offered us a nice price (but very expensive extended warranty) and Domes matched it and added a little more of a sweetner. John Chester was the guy and he has been great to deal with. So we are going to get the Mitsu Platinum with an extended warranty. The warranty is something we have been umming and ahing over, but when it comes down to it, a 3k TV is not a desposable asset!

Just for anyones interest the Mitsu also has multi-point convergance as well as the Pioneer.

Thank you for your help everyone and input.

David S

Stunt Coordinator
"the dealer told me the Elite wasn't worth the extra money and at the time didn't know it wasn't in our price range so he's clearly on the level)"

I would not agree with such a "blanket" statement. Your room, your environment (light control, etc), play a big part in this as well. Does this dealer sell the Elites? What do you think? I went back and forth between the Mits Diamond 55 vs the Elite 630HD (58"), and the signal/strech modes for regular standard definition TV did it for me/the Pioneer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks