Mitsu 65513 Gold Info

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Gr, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Chris Gr

Chris Gr Auditioning

Hello all!

I just bought a Mitsubishi WT-65513 a week a go from Sears for alittle more than $2000! From the research I've done on this and other sites I feel that I got a good-great deal! I've owned a 27-29" Goldstar for YYEEAARRSS, so it's a leap in size and quality.

Now, I know what the TV comes with but I don't know exactly what it does and how to better utilize it.

1) PIP - How do I do this? Do I need two cable boxes?

Let me apologizes RIGHT NOW because I KNOW NOTHING![​IMG]

2) I plan on getting a cal. disc like AVIA. How long should I wait before I tune the TV?

3) Do I need to run a 220v line for the TV? Or is the standard 110-120v line good. Sorry again![​IMG] Might be stupid

4) The TV comes with an internal tuner. What does that mean? Only thing I thought was I can plug a HD antenna up and get HD if it's there. What about ESPNHD or MNFootball. My cable company provides it.

5) Can I set a DVD player/Center Speaker/ PS2 on the TV?

6) NetCommand 3, is it nice, usefull, or is it a waste?

Thanks and I hope that I didn't just embarass myself.
    CGray

2. John S

John S Producer

Dang hard to believe no responses on this one yet....

1. PIP and how it works varies on different sets. Most times it is best to make as many connections as possible for greatest benefit. 2 Tuner PIP, normally you would split the cable before the digital cable box, make sure both tuners are set for Cable insteal of Antenna.
    With single tuner PIP, usually you would do the same spilt before the digital box, but go to a stereo hi-fi VCR with one Cable coax connection, and the other to the TV, once again making sure both are set to Cable instead of Antenna.

Now every HDTV hanldes PIP differently depending on source that is being displayed -vs- sources you wish to PIP. Your going to have to read and re-read you owners manual and/or experiement massively to figure that out.

2. A minimum of like say 200 hours, and the longer the better.

3. No new electrical work is generally needed for a TV change, even the high end HT guys usually only do it for high end audio setups.

4. yes, internal tuner will get the over the airwavs stuff, not ESPNHD, but most likely MNF can be. Your cable company has to provide you with a different cable box to get any HD content, when viewing Cable HD Sources your TV tuner(s)most likely will be used at all.

5. Only you can make judgement on weight on top of your set. Sounds like a reasonable amount of weight though, but probably at the absolute max I would consider it.

6. I don't own a Mitsu, but I would assume NetCommand is a feature of that set? I am unfamilure with it.

3. Chris Gr

Chris Gr Auditioning

Thanks!

1) PIP - Now by splitting the cable in way of a "T" will I still get all the channels I would on the line coming out of the wall that I would coming out of the DCable Box?

2) On calibrating - you say 200hrs, and longer the better. I'm confused on the "longer the better" part.

3) 220v - GREAT!!!

4) Internal Tuner - If I have normal Digital Cable and on Monday night (football season of course) I turn to ABC I will get MNF in HD or do I have to go over an antenna? And does that goes for all the other ABC, NBC, CBS HD programming??

5) Weight on TV - It would only be for a few days so I can better match a stand with TV and surroundings, but I'll make sure that I won't over do it!!!

6) NetCommand - Yes, it is a feature. I'm just asking just to ask! Thanks anyway!

Thanks for your input, I was starting to get worried about the reply situation. I thought I might of placed this in the wrong forum and pissed people off!

Cgray

4. scot_salmon

scot_salmon Agent

On the calibration front, I would say go ahead and use AVIA or DVE right away to set the front panel (brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, SVM, etc.). You especially need to tame the contrast before doing any significant amount of viewing. I think what the other poster may have been referring to was when to get the set professionally calibrated. These RPTV's need some "burn-in" time so that the phosphors can calm down a bit. Most calibrators recommend 100-150 hours prior to a calibration.

You will most-likely need to redo the AVIA/DVE settings after a sufficient burn-in period and then make the call as to whether a professional calibration is needed/wanted.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Scot

5. John S

John S Producer

Good point scot_salmon, I was indeed talking about professional calibration as I have it on the brian going on three months of use on my new HDTV, I will have it done very soon. Now the question is do I have the calibrationist "Remove Protective Screen" or leave it in?

6. John S

John S Producer

1. You will want to get 1ghz rated splitters or better if your going to upgrade to HD. What you get out of the wall is standard extended cable, NOT DIGITAL. You would need two Digital Boxes for that one.

2. Well basic calibration right away, I was talking about professional calibration, over time, CRT based TV's change in color temp and convergence, ect..ect.. It is best for the set to be as stable as possible so the professional calibration doesn't drift off.

3. Generally there are no needed electrician costs.

4. Right now my COMCAST HD is not doing ABC, I have to get it over the air waves. No normal digital cable gives you absolutely no HDTV content. You need the newer HD box for that, and the service I believe. It was only like $8 more for me though.

5. I have seen some people put tons of weight on there HDTV's and for long periods of time with no adverse effect. It is a personal call on how much is to much.

6. Well you inform me.. What is Net Command???

7. Chris Gr

Chris Gr Auditioning

1) "1 GHz splitter or better" is better 1+GHz or lower?

4) Why don't you get ABC in HD?

6) NetCommand is a utility the TV has that navigates through your Audio/Video inputs/outputs. It's either a very useful option or a "cool" feature to help promote a TV. I've seen it work, I just never seen it work in my hands so I don't know how user friendly it is!

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. Higher is better.

A few other things that haven't been mentioned. Each input has separate settings so you will have to calibrate separately. Or you can just copy the settings from the calibrated input.

Mitsubishis normally have too much red (aka red push). The "13" models allow you to adjust the red and magenta down on both the SD and HD inputs. My older 411 model only allows this setting on SD.

There are two 64 point convergence settings. One for SD and one for HD.

Finally, if you don't have kids running around in the house you can remove the lexan protective screen. This will cut down the glare. I had the delivery guys remove it. I wrapped it in an old sheet and stored it in the attic.

-Robert

9. John S

John S Producer

I don't get ABD in HD via cable because they do not yet offer it. I would expect it to be available very soon.

They also assert us Denver Comcast HD subscribers will soon get Discovery HD as well. No definet time tables from them though.