Mitsu 65" HDTV Broken? Is it the tubes, bulbs, etc?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeDierbeck, Jun 23, 2006.

1. MikeDierbeck

MikeDierbeck Agent

Hey everybody, I've had a Mitsubishi WS-65857 since 2000. Never had one problem. Not one. Now, a week ago, I've had this weird problem that started out temporary, but is becoming more frequently. At the top and bottom of the screen, it goes from a perfect picture to a blurred picture with some double imaging going on and different colors (green, blue, etc) strangely visible.

Not only does it do this, but it will take a widescreen image and kind of twists it into like an IMAX type shape! Pretty much a bending of the picture. Then when it stops doing it, it goes back to the beautiful picture that I've grown accustomed to. I took some photos on my digital camera... I don't know if I can post pictures or if somebody may know the problem and wants me to e-mail them the pics, I would love to do that!

I'm trying to decide to just pitch the whole TV and put it to sleep [​IMG] Tell myself it had a good life. It's beyond warranty too and we're having a hard time finding people to come work on it!! Is this TV beyond dead or can it be fixed? I would pay up to $1500 for repairs, but if its beyond that I may just look to buy a whole new TV.

Any help would be so GREATLY appreciated, you have no idea.

Mike

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    STOP USING YOUR TV.
    Call for service, your convergence ICs need to be resolder. It is a very common problem especially for Mitsubishis.
    Figure 200-275 for an in home repair of the display.

3. MikeDierbeck

MikeDierbeck Agent

Thank you very much! We are having a difficult time finding anybody that still fixes Mitsubishi television sets. Is this something that can be done by ourselves? I like to think I am fairly efficient in figuring this stuff out -- but perhaps not for something as advanced as this.

Again, I appreciate your information. Consider this television OFF until it gets fixed!

Mike

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Mike

You said you were willing to pay up to $1500 to get it fixed. I think that you will be able to find someone to come out for far less than that.

I have heard too many stories about people who try to repair things themselves and end up making things worse. Of course, you may be exceptionally adept at this kind of work.

Have you contacted Mitsubishi to find out where the nearest repair facility is? For me, the DIY route would be an absolute last resort.

5. MikeDierbeck

MikeDierbeck Agent

I used the advice from both you guys and finally found somebody to come out next Wednesday! We explained the problem and he basically repeated verbatim what Gregg said. And then I followed Arthur's advice and found the nearest repair facility. They even said it would cost about $300 which is what you guys said it would roughly cost. Not bad considering I would've invested $1500 to it (of course I didn't tell them that!).

So hopefully they can fix this. Regardless, you guys really came through ... and FAST too! Thanks again.

I have my setting all set perfectly with both Avia and Digital Video Essentials. Will this process probably erase the settings back to the factory settings. I.E., would it be smart to take down my settings on paper? This TV is tough because it doesn't use a number system for them (for the contrast, color, tint, etc) and it just uses this bar system which is really hard to count the number of notches. I should probably be safe and just do it anyways.

Mike