Mitsu 46807

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam Posten, May 26, 2001.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The local stores here have this unit for $1999 and I'm pretty close to biting. I'd love the 55" but dont know if i have the room for it and the extra 1k is hard to swallow. I'm moving up from 34" Widescreen so even this is a huge step up in scren size as well as resolution. Just have a few questions:
    1. Anyone getting any significantly better prices on this model? I expect to also buy the matching base as well. I understand its $900 less than original price but its also last years model.
    2. Recommend a progressive DVD player to go along with it? My local price club has a Pioneer for $188 which I thought was an incredible price for a progressive player, but I havent heard much about the unit.
    Pretty sure it was the 434:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/HomeProducts/HomeProductDetails/0,1422,50~5010~5010300~418,00.html?

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Posten,
    I got the Mits 55' for $2,400. that's only a $400 price difference!!! Of course I paid in cold hard cash tho-
    ------------------
    Read my weekly movie review column at Las Vegas Film Society www.emperor.net/lvfs/index.html?

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

If being "last year's model" concerns you, and you like Panasonic brand, then you will be interested in the PT-47WX49, Panasonic's 47" 16x9 TV due out in June/July 2001. It will MSRP for around $2100, but the street price should be $2000 or lower.

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

for the progressive scan dvd, i'd stay away from the 434, it has taken some serious knocks both here and in the magazine reviews. i'd recommend almost any other player over the 434.

5. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Posten,
    I forgot to mention the dvd player. I would recommend the JVC 723. I got mine for about $325. Just check out www.pricescan.com and enter in the model number along with the subject:electronics
    I think the JVC 723 and the Mits 55' WS HDTV are a great combo
    ------------------
    Read my weekly movie review column at Las Vegas Film Society www.emperor.net/lvfs/index.html?

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I absolutely dont have a problem with buying last years model, I simply noted that the price break was due to this years model already shipping. I expcet this years model to list for the same, perhaps a little less than last years.
    The features of the set are perfect for me, any additional features they could add to next years (Firewire, VGA, Motion compensation etc) would only be gravy, not a make or break addition for me.
    I'll skip the 434, thanks for the warning. If anyone has a pointer to an online review pointing out its flaws that would be awesome.
    It seems noone has found any places that beat the $1999 price, that seems either a good sign or a sign that a lot of folks are out enjoying the holiday weekend.
    Even if I could get the 55" for $2400 I'm not sure I could fit it. =( It is a beautiful set tho and would be my first choice. I'd have to put components on TOP of it though even if I could fit it, which I would hate to do. The 46"ers matching base is an excellent complement, tho the combination of buying both would place it right at the same price as the 55"!!! Hmmm.
    Great advice folks, thanks. 4 years later and this place is still my first stop for Home theater talk!
    Sam