Mits WS65819 -Long first post sorry!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy McElwain, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Jeremy McElwain

Jeremy McElwain Auditioning

First post be easy on the rook!
    My old Mits 50 recently kicked the bucket after about 5 years of duty. I had the extended warranty and it paid off!
    Had one gun replaced and then another started leaking coolant, they couldnt get parts and offered to buy me a TV of comprable value. Long story short took that money and got the 65 Mits HD ready. Now. Looks HORRID watching football or any sorting event where the camera has to back off, the players blur badly (Dish Network) VERY happy with DVD quality. Queston being with the relative lack of HD programming and the fact that when I build a house in 2-3 years Im putting a full theater room in would I be better off with a say Mits 4:3 70in? The games looked fine on the old 50. Not sure I want to put up with blur until HD is the standard?
    Thanks Guys and Gals!

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

What you need is an external line doubler. The Mits HD sets have very poor line doublers built in, but the HD and DVD picture will look great.

3. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Jeremy:
    If you wouldn't mind, can you share the names of both the retailer and extended warranty company that you went with? The reason I ask is that at least here in NJ, not all of the stores live up to the hype they make when you buy the set.
    One store in particular makes you jump thru hoops to use your extended warranty, 4-5 vists by various techs, then a replacement - maybe.
    I know that Best buy has that no questions asked policy, and I think I've heard good things about Circuit City and its extended plans.
    Thanks.
    Rich B.

4. Jeremy McElwain

Yeah, no sweat. I purchased it through the Good Guys. The warranty company was GE. Wonderful to work with. I didnt even make a peep, they offered right away to replace the TV.

5. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Thanks for the info Jeremy. I believe that GG is a left coast chain. You are VERY lucky to get treatment like that in the CE industry nowadays.
    Congrats on the new set. Juan is correct about the Mits line doubler being a little below par when compared to other sets. I need to add that I am talking about "out of box" condition only. I am sure you will get responses that say you'll be happier if you get an ISF jobbie on your set. I tend to agree - a good ISF tech can make your set work wonders - but the good ones are not cheap, not easy to find, and they're not cheap either. Get the message?
    Also, check out www.hometheaterspot.com
    This is the unofficial homebase location of true Mits fanatics.
    Enjoy the new set!
    PS
    I also agree with Juan's recommendation of getting an ISan line doubler. Get the new Pro (V2) version and try to pick one up used on one of the boards - it's been out for a while now and you should be able to save a few bucks.
    Rich B.

6. DanP

DanP Agent

Jeremy, in regards to your original question it's kind of hard to answer with what we have to go on. the thing is, most people decide they want to have all the pretty pictures of HD in their home first, then go and buy the set.
    What prompted you to pick an HD set to begin with? I'm not sure how much you've researched it but theres a pretty good amount of HD out there, especially depending upon where one lives.
    Admittedly, to receiver any amount of HD that may be available to you, you'd have to outlay a few hundred more dollars for an HD STB, if you dont have one already.
    Now in my case where I have the little brother of your set..the 55", almost all I watch is HD, and some DVD's. Yes, I watch football on Sundays all day though and am not overly thrilled about the PQ comparitively, but one trick I've found to counter it is using the POP feature of the set. That is..watching 2 games at once side by side. It beats conventional PIP because both games are shown in equal size. And while not a small size, smaller enough to make the glaring PQ deficiency compared to better sources as far more tolerable.

7. Jeremy McElwain

I bought the HD set with upgradeability in mind. But I was hoping to get a better picture than I have. I admittedly didnt do too much research [​IMG] ya caught me there!

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Jeremy, what you are watching now is 480i. Compare that to 1080i or even 480p and you'll notice that 480i is pretty pathetic. Are you using a progressive-scan DVD player? Progressive scan will give you 480p. I would urge you to get a HD-STB as quickly as possible and start recieving HD signals. Then, you can have 1080i (at least, some) and all will be ok with the world.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

9. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Jeremy, I notice 'blur' on camera pull back from close-ups even on HDTV broadcasts... but that's simply because the camera is refocusing, there's NOTHING you can do about that.
    I think you're noticing how good your picture quality is when the content it right vs. when it isn't. On a smaller (50"), much older 4:3 set without scan doubler probably, differences in content quality are much less noticable.
    I was thinking today how as we get better and better equipment we get more and more discriminating (picky).
    So you're sunk, bud... [​IMG]