Mits WS65711: DARK image...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryHatchett, Jan 22, 2003.

1. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

As a few of you know from earlier threads, I just installed a WS65711 a few days ago. Out-of-the-box image was pretty unenjoyable--this Mits replaced a Tosh 65H80 that had a spectacular image. (Stumbled onto an incredible deal on the Mits that I couldn't pass up. I like the extra features.) Anyway, the first thing driving me nuts was the red push. Until I'm comfortable fixing it through the service menu and/or until I can get a calibrationist here, I temporarily cured the push with an attenuator. Looks a bazillion times better than it did. The image was also subtly soft compared to the Tosh. Did an electrical focus last night, which is super-easy BTW, and she ain't soft no more! Took all of five minutes and the image is now crisp as new money.

The one thing still bugging me pretty severely is the darkness of the image. I've run Video Essentials and have checked black level about a dozen times. It's dead on by the disc and is at roughly 60-65%. Running contrast at around 75%. (It never bloomed, even wide open.) Black enhancement is off. VSM off. Color temp low. Any thoughts on where this darkness is coming from? It's not subtle, and I'm pretty confused on how the levels could be set by VE and yet I'm still seeing this. I've ordered Avia. Hoping it comes today.

Many thanks...

Jerry

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    What type of attenuator are you using? Also have you thought about joining The Spot? They supposedly have all of the Mitsu teaks but you have to pay for them.

-Robert

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

When you say dark do you mean overall light output or is there no detail in shadows?

You should be able to adjust gamma on this set to help balance the black/white levels. That might help.

Also Mitsubishi has different contrast/brightness/color/ting/sharpness for each input. If you adjust these 5 for DVD and then switch to something else you'll need to readjust your settings for that input.

4. JerryHatchett

Robert, I'm running a little variable pre-built attenuator from Radio Shaft. And I've already hooked up over at the Spot. Got the instructions there for the electrical focus that worked like a charm and totally eliminated the softness in the image. Also have this issue posted there in the ask-a-calibrator forum. Thanks.

John, no detail in shadows. And yes, I'm aware of the different settings for each input. Thanks.

Jerry

5. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Jerry,

Your brightness and contrast levels seem way off to me. When I had my Mit. after calibration with Avia my contrast was around 30% and brightness was at around 45%. Running your contrast at 75% is seriously high.

Donnie

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'll agree with Donnie - that does seem very high.

But gamma adjustment can help a lot. I'm not sure of the x711 models but 5 or 6 is the recommended value.

7. JerryHatchett

Forgot to mention that I ran Avia last night. Contrast now at around 45%. Brightness ~60%. Is gamma adjustment a service menu item?

Jerry

8. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Yes, the gamma can be adjusted via the service menu.

9. JerryHatchett

Thanks much, Donnie.

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert