Mits WS-A55 for $1000??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon_Robbins, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Jon_Robbins

Jon_Robbins Auditioning

I have a chance to purchase the ws-a55 for $1000. The unit itself is 6 months old, and had been surged with a lighting strike. It was fixed under the warranty, and still has 6 months left of the warranty. Main use of it would be for DVDs and Cable TV. Also play vids now and then with gc, ps2, and xbox. Just wondering if I could get some opinions on this and the price to see if it would be worth it or not. Thanks.

2. Jon_Robbins

Jon_Robbins Auditioning

Anyone??

3. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Well I certainly can not TELL you what to do, but if it was offered to me, there's no way in hell I'd ever buy it. For just a few hundred more you can get a brand new one from Best Buy (or Circuit City) and get a 4 year warranty on it, and not have to worry about it breaking down after the 6 month period where it will no longer be covered by the warranty. Like I said, that's just me, but you can do whatever you want.

Not to mention the fact that the previous owners whoever they might be, may have not had it properly calibrated, and could have already messed it up by having the contrast set to 100% (which is factory default). You said it was used for 6 months, so 6 months at full contrast could have caused more damage than meets the eye.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Mitch said. There's no such thing as a "good value" when it comes to used TVs (even more so with units that have already needed major repair work).

5. Jon_Robbins

Jon_Robbins Auditioning

Thanks guys.

6. CharlesDLP

CharlesDLP Auditioning

I would entertain the idea. The WS-A55 is not just a few hundered dollars more. It's around $1800 new at Best Buy. Best Buy does not even sell a HD RPTV new for under $1500. If you could determine the history of the set it would be nice. I would at the very least take a descrete look at the set and think it over. Can't hurt. What you feel comfortable with is up to you. :-P All $1000 will get you is a nice 36" analog flat tube set or a 50" analog RPTV by and large. There are a few decent 30" HD direct view sets on the market as well, but these are small sets. If a larger screen area interests you the WS-A55 for $1000 is a killer deal and it's "not" a given that you'll get screwed just cause it seems to good to be true. Perhaps I'm more of a risker taker, but I would not dismiss the opportunity outright.