Mits. WS-55813 and burned out pixels?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Howard, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Mike Howard

Mike Howard Extra

Hi group,
    I'm a newby here on this forum and in the HT arena. How great is this, having such a powerful source of knowledge, and information at your fingertips! I can't express enough, how much I appreciate all of you, and your willingness to help us clueless, newbies.
    Anyway, I just jumped into the HT arena this X-mas with the purchase of our 1st big screen tv, a Mitsubishi WS-55813 (Diamond). I've been extremely happy with it's performance to date. But last night, to my horror, I noticed what appears to me to be several burned out pixels on the viewing screen. Should I be concerned about this? Or, is this a common occurance with these RPTV's? I am not sure if this condition has developed over the short time that I have had this set, or if the condition was present from day one right out of the box. Although this is only noticable if you are very close to the screen, I still find it to be rather disturbing. How am I to know whether this condition will become worse over time[​IMG]

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

RPTV's don't have individual "pixels" the way DLP, LCD or plasma TVs do. They use analog CRT's to project an image onto the screen. If you have "burned out pixels," I assume you are referring to black spots you can see on the screen. For your set these would almost certainly be due to specks of dirt which can be on several different surfaces: 1) CRT lens, 2) mirror assembly 3) main screen or 4) protective screen.

SMK

3. Mike Howard

Mike Howard Extra

Steve,
    I'll try to describe a little better what it is I am seeing. If I put may face up close to the screen, I can see what I assume to be the individual lines of resolution. The screen looks like a fine grid of verticle and horizontal lines. I am seeing a few perfect little black squares inside this grid if you will. To me these spots look too perfect in form to be dirt. My set does have a removable anti-glare shield on it. Thanks