Mits WS-55809 vs WS-55819 ???? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jenna, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Desperately need info from Mits owners! I'm shopping for the PlatinumPlus WS-55819 but have been told there's "limited availability" and couldn't be given a ship date but was quoted for $2999. The salesman at AceAppliance (only local Mits dealer) is trying to steer me toward the Platinum WS-55809 which they have ready to ship for $2799 ($200 less). The salesman told me that the ONLY difference between the two sets was that the 55809 had 5" speakers and the 55819 had 6" speakers.

Surely, there's got to be some other difference between the two sets...I don't want to settle for less than the better set. If anyone can provide clarification here, I'd deeply appreciate it!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm not a Mits owner, but I do believe the differences between the two sets are more extensive than that. Your chances of finding a knowledgeable salesperson at a large store are mimimal to non-existant. Why not check out the Mitsubishi Website? Also, Sound & Vision's annual equipment directory is now available.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

Jenna,

I cannot tell you the details of the differences, but this salesperson is definitely misleading you. There are more than just the speakers.

And to top it off--you should be able to pay $2800 for the 55819, not the 809, anywhere you go. It's not a large discount.

My recommendation is not to buy from this person, since he or she appears to be misinforming you as well as ready to overcharge you for bad information.

4. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Thanks guys...
    You wouldn't believe the lack of Mitsubishi info in a one-hour radius of Asheville! I've only found ONE set at Sears so of course it's plugged into a poor HD signal and has a terrible picture...AND they've LOST the remote so I couldn't even check out the menus or features. Plus their salesman didn't know thing one about the 55819 features since they don't carry that one. [​IMG]
    Yes, the salesman at Ace Appliance was slimy so I'm NOT buying from him. I'm driving the 1-hour to Greenville, SC tomorrow to actually see a working set with a remote. They said I wouldn't have to pay sales tax since they'd be shipping to me out-of-state. Wish me luck....

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rule of thumb: If a salesperson cannot produce the correct remote for a set on display in the showroom, find another dealer. End of story. Best of luck. (BTW, it is my experience that Mitsubishi's RPTVS run at quite a high color temp out of the carton--so, consider a proper grayscale calibration as part of the purchase price. You'll be rewarded with a superb picture as a result.)

6. Scott Basham

Scott Basham Stunt Coordinator

Jenna,

I have the 55809 and am very satisfied with it. I had 2 Hitachi HD tv's before this one and neither even came close to the picture. Also, I like the Mitsu's menu much better and like having the ability to tweak the convergence right from the menu instead of having to go into service (screw up) mode with the Hitachi.

The difference in the 55809 and the other one that you mentioned is supposed to be the way they focus out on the edge of the screen. I noticed problems with outer focus on the Hitachi, but not with this Mitsubishi.

You should be able to get a little better deal on it at Sears by purchasing it on a 10% off day or getting 10% off by applying for a Sears card and then just paying it off the same month.

Let us know how it turns out. If you see one with a true HD feed, you'll be hard pressed to turn it down..

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Jenna,
    The best Mits tv resource you'll find on the web is the www.Hometheaterspot.com.
    I have a 55809 due to the ridiculous pricematching of Sears. Paid 2100. I have some receipts flying around somewhere you can use. Many others have gotten it at the same Price I have AND gotten the 10 percent off as well. I didn't. I live in Burlington/Durham.
    The 55819 (Platinum Plus) has a 55809 lens w/ a magnet in each corner to try and help the focus. Does it help? No, or at least not to me (more PC). It has larger speakers.. so what. I believe it also has a VGA input in the back, but is limited to 640 by 480 resolution. Go check the website I linked you to. They are ridiculous in their knowledge of Mits tv's. If you don't feel like shelling out for an ISF, you can get 80% (BS stat) there by using their tweaks.
    My rec'n is save your money and buy a 55809 and spend the savings on an ISF calibration and a good progressive dvd player. Then you have the whole audio side and dvds and...
    well one step at a time. Check out the spot. Good Luck.