What's new

Mits RPTV-Grey bars and burn-in (1 Viewer)

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,
I just picked up a Mits WS-55411 wide HD monitor. Right off the bat I noticed about a dozen warnings in the manual about watching standard TV in Narrow mode with the grey bars. I tried some of the other modes (stretch is really horrible) and just want to stick with the accurate picture geometry. I calibrated my set with Avia and lowered the contrast and sharpness settings accordingly and I'm just wondering if I would be okay watching in this mode, say, 40-50% of the time with the lowered settings. We'll be watching DVDs a good percentage of the time. I know it's pretty subjective, but I just wanna get a general sense of what people think. Thanks Much. Jim

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
Jim, I bought the same tv about three weeks ago. I have grown very used to the stretch mode for 4:3. I really don't even notice anymore. I was watching football today and it looked great! Try to give it a little time, the picture gets much better the more you use the tv, not sure why but it does. If you must watch 4:3 in narrow mode I think 40-50% is to much, I wouldn't advice that. Give it a chance, I think you will find it much better in a couple days!

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I vary between zooming, and watching with grey or black bars.
It's been 2+ years, and I have no sign of burn in. For the record, it's been VE/Avia calibrated since day one, and ISFed a couple times.
I try to watch most things zoomed, but also all my upconverted HD NTSC sources have black/gray bars put in my the local affiliates. And things that look really bad zoomed I'll pillar box. A lot of what I watch is the History Channel which is just fine zoomed since it's mostly just still pictures they pan around. It's not optimal, but I try to play it a little safe... :)
As long as the contrast is nice and low and you're watching a majority not in 4:3 mode, you should be fine.

Steve Krasnow

Auditioning
I haven't had my WS-55411 more then a week and the stretch mode seems to work fine for me. It's not as good as the Toshiba I had but I'll give up some better stretch for a better picture.
I would stay away from gray bars. Not sure how long it would take until you got a burn in, maybe it would not happen with your 4:3 viewing habits. What if it did?? :frowning:

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, I figure we'll at least let the kids watch their stuff in stretched mode. Who cares if Spongebob Squarepants is a little distorted anyway. As for everything else, I'll give it another shot and see if I can get used to it. Thanks for the replies everyone. Jim

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I have had a 46" Mitsubishi for almost 3 years. I keep the contrast and brightness at settings calibrated from AVIA, around 40%. I watch things that I don't care about stretched, but sporting events in particular I always watch in 4x3. Also, I watch the local channels via their digital stations, so I can't change their size (they're sent as 16x9 signals with black or gray bars added on the side when the materials is SD). Since I watch a lot of hockey, I am probably watching 40% with either black or gray bars on the sides. So far no sign of burn in.

SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks