Mits input dominance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I have a Mitsubishi 50801 RPTV which is about 3 years old. On the back it has two sets of inputs, each having S-Video, composite and stereo R/L. I have my Yamaha receiver connected to it, with the S-Video in input 1, composite in input 2.
    I could have sworn in the past that if I tried to connect both lines from the Yammy to one input, only the composite would be visible. This was happening because regardless of what input was selected, the Yamaha was sending a signal down the both lines and the Mits was choosing the composite over the S-Video. However tonight I tried it and the opposite was happening. It was favoring S-Video over composite. This is great because now I can hook my DVD directly to the TV by sharing input 2.
    What bothers me is that I'm sure the opposite was happening in the past, or else I would have hooked my DVD up directly already. Last fall I had to have some work on the TV done. Something was wigging out on it and blue was sometimes green. It was quite annoying. The guy replaced several parts, the first ones in error, and finally got it working. I'm wondering if this changed how the inputs were chosen.
    I've also upgraded from a Yamaha DSP-A3090 to the RX-V1 since the last time I fiddled with this. But I don't think that would change anything.
    Does anybody out there have this model or a similar one that could tell me how theirs chooses inputs?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

On my Mits 46805, S-video has dominance over composite. I don't know if it's the presence of a signal on the jack that triggers the S-video, or if it's a switch inside the jack that sets it to S-video when something is plugged into it. I'll have to try and see.
    On input 3, which has component, S-video, and composite, component has the dominance, I think.
    KJP

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

After further fiddling last night, I think that S-Video always had the dominance. I found that if I plugged my new DVD player directly to the S-Video input, next to the composite from the receiver, nothing was shown from the receiver regardless of whether or not the DVD player was on. I was quite annoyed. Either the DVD player was sending something or just having the thing connected closed some connection that caused it to override I just don't know. I wish there was someway around this so I could actually use all those jacks.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I tried that too, the other day. If anything is plugged into the S-video jack, the TV switches to S-video, regardless of whether there's a signal or not. It must be triggered by a microswitch in the jack.
    It would be nice if it was triggered by the presence of a signal (like the component inputs), then I could use both the composite and the S-video on one input for two different sources (VCR and LD for example).
    KJP