Mits HDTVs,Which have 3:2 pulldown?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Thompson, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Agent

A friend of mine is interested in buying a HDTV.He likes my Elite610,but isn't looking to spend that much.He's also interested in the Mits. because of their no payments til 2003 promotion their running right now.I have heard that Mits had added 3:2 pulldown capability to their newer sets and was wondering which ones.Do you need to go into the Diamond series to get this?Any replies appreciated.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    Go sell crazy somewhere else,We're all stocked up here!

2. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I do believe that any he could buy right now has it. In order not to have it he would have to find an older model from the XXX05 line.
    I can tell you a way to check for it. on XXXX7 models.
    If you take the remote and press the video button and then scroll through the different video settings you will come to one that gives you a choice of film or video. I think they call it source type or some thing like that. That is basically turning it off and on.
    Not sure but I would hope that on the newwer models it was auto detect and did not need to be set manually but I would bet they still have that menu setting.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

3. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

IMHO. Mits' line doublers are aweful. When watching digital cable/TiVo (or any MPEG compressed video source) the line double was actually accentuating some of the digital artifacts. I found it very distracting.
    I ended up picking up a Silicon Image Iscan Pro from onecall.com. It did a much better job, and of course it's 3:2 pulldown is going to be way superior to any in-set line doubler.
    Don't get me wrong. I love my Mits. However, don't be expecting great things from it's line doubler.
    -Alan

4. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

Mits line doublers are pretty bad for cable TV, however cable is usually a bad source anyway, especially AT&T Cable.
    I notice that these HDTV's rarely display cable TV signals very well, with cable TV its usually a garbage in garbage out situation. If you go the a store, you rarely find them demo-ing these TV's with cable signals. I think with HDTV's, the better the source signal the better the actual display. I don't think you should rely on any TV's line doublers or 3:2 pulldown process, get a Progressive scan DVD
    player, they are superior to the TV and outboard line doublers like DVDO.

5. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I have actually found that my Mits 73907 does a damn nice job on Star Wars The Phantom Menace LD in film mode and if you put it in the video mode it does not look nearly as good.
    I do not watch enough LDs anymore to justify a stand alone video processor and am happy with my Mits's Line doubler.
    I also find that with the analog and Digital signal on my Big Dish it does OK as well. Keep in mind that for the most part the digital signals on the big dish are less compressed then on a mini dish and look far better.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

6. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Agent

So basically I'm hearing that the line doubler in the Mits hasn't improved?I looked at the Mits,along with other sets when I bought my Elite almost two years ago.At that time there was just no comparison,IMHO. It is one of the reasons I went with the Elite.I was hoping that with the addition of 3:2 pull down,the line doubler had improved as well.I don't know if they'll (my friends)be happy with the picture,when watching cable.I may have to see what kind of deal I can get them on an Elite or maybe a Mits with a DVDO.
    I can get pretty good deals with my local shop.We will just have to see.Thanks
    ------------------
    Go sell crazy somewhere else,We're all stocked up here!

7. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

You might also want to look at the Toshibas as they have the second best line doubler out of all the TVs out there. The Elite has the best one, and the Toshibas come with 3:2 pulldown starting with there 2001 models. Good luck on what ever you decide.
    ------------------
    Juan

8. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

To answer the original question...
    All current Mitsubishi HDTVs have 3/2 pulldown detection. It was added in the 2001 line (xxx07). While some of these posts discuss the poor quality with cable (I don't really care about this), I can assure you than the handling of film based material is excellent. Check www.hometheaterspot.com for more info than you could ever hope for on Mitsubishi sets.