Mits DD8040- 'Black Level' Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by James Edward, Jan 18, 2004.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I just replaced my Tosh SD-5700 with the DD8040. Picture quality on the Mitsubishi seems better to me- colors appear more saturated, and the picture seems slightly sharper and with more depth.

However, I'm a little unsure of the 'black level' control on the player. Turning it to 'off' yields a much better picture; deeper blacks, better contrast, and better color.

But... The player always seems to default to 'on' for the black level after shutting it off or changing out the disc. Can this be defaulted to 'off', or should I be using the brightness control on my TV(Tosh 57HX81)?

On a related topic, does it matter whether my TV's 'Cinema Mode' is set to 'Film' or 'Video' when using the player in progressive mode?

Thanks for reading and any replies...

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yeah I hated that DD-8040 "bug" - the black level off won't stick! I took it back because of that reason and got a used Faroudja-based Panasonic XP30 that doesn't have that problem. As far as the TV's interlacing mode, the film vs video is only used for interlaced sources so it will be ignored with progressive mode since the DVD player is doing the de-interlacing.

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I was hoping for some trick to make black level off stick- oh well...
    After watching it some more this morning, I'm going to keep the player- I LOVE the picture quality improvement.