What's new

Mits 73" RPTV (1080i) vs, Toshiba 72" DLP (1080p) (1 Viewer)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Go look at each display. I personally would definitely go for the Mits over the wobulated toshiba.

Your assumptions about FP are a little wrong though, if you have proper space there are some excellent displays out in low price ranges.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Wobulation key advantage - a smooth picture free of visible pixel structure.

HP created Wobulation, a technique that takes advantage of the fact that TI’s new DLP mirrors can oscillate every 1/120 of a second to create a series of overlapping pixels, which the eye melds together. The result is two visible pixels for each physical mirror, or a true 1,920-by-1,080 picture.

During your visual auditions, check out the Toshiba 72HM195 to see if RBE is an issue with you!??!?

My friends, family (from my Friday NITE DVD presentations) and I don't see or notice this "Rainbow Effect" on my Toshiba 56HM195 HDTV, so we can enjoy the stunning picture!

For the detailed picture, color depth, price and size, I Love my Toshiba 56HM195 crystal clear & detailed HD TV broadcasts and HDMI upconverted 1080i blockbuster DVD's!!! :D

Phil

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

We don't see it, ... so it's not an issue with my 56" DLP 1920 x 1080p high resolution rear projection display!

This higher resolution will significantly increase sharpness and detail while reducing the visibility of spatial and temporal dithering artifacts.

Phil

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Do you work for TI or something? Geez. Just because you aren't experienced or critical enough to see a problem doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.

My suggestion is to go look at the displays, properly setup, with a critical eye and decide which is best for your particular viewing preferences.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Look, I'm not going to get into a debate about this, I'm not a fan of wobulation, it looks like ass as it's implemented now. The dithering is worse than evern the original HD2 chips, I find it unacceptable. Obviously this doesn't bother some people, but it does me. I would certainly recommend a 720p DC3 chip based display over a wobulated DLP at this point. If you don't see dithering, then don't go looking for it and enjoy your display.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Well, why didn't you just say that in the beginning!!!

Some people see the Rainbow Effect also, we don't, ... so ... Rob FM, ... some food for thought while auditioning the 1080p DLP displays!

Phil

Shane Harg

Second Unit
I got into my Panasonic AE900 with an 80" screen for around 2,650.00 USD, and my screen was VERY expensive compared with screens over there (in the U.S.). You could probably buy a nice 120" (or thereabouts) screen over there for what I paid.

With the price:image size ratio and picture quality of front projection, nowadays, I personally can't understand why anyone would bother with bulky RPTV displays. Just my $.02 worth.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Is there such thing as affordable 1080p FP? I have 720p LCD FP, 480i CRT FP and 61" 1080p DLP RPTV. The most watched with the best PQ is the RPTV. Both FP's are in a dedicated HT room while the RPTV is in my bedroom. With FP you have to remember not a lot of people have light controlled room to put it into, and quite honestly for FP you need a bitch black room, with RPTV it is not that important.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Actually, an entry-level FP 1080p projector with screen will cost you around $10,000. My recommendation above pertains to 1080i/720p.

From what I have read from reviews of playing 1080p native software through 1080p capable displays is, that it doesn't look conceivably better than playing it through a 1080i/720p capable display. Which is to say, both are stunning.

Myself, I have seen a demonstration of Star Wars Episode III upconverted to 1080p by the Denon A1XVA player and played through the Sony Ruby 1080p capable projector (about $10,000). Then I saw it upconverted to 720p and played through the Panasonic AE900 (about $2000 MSRP). There just wasn't a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks