Mits 73 - I'm jumping....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim Wilke, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Jim Wilke

Jim Wilke Extra

After months of thought and careful shopping, I am _this close_ to buying a WS 73713 Mits. I currently have a Sony XBR200 61" and I am looking to go to a new, HD display; the local cable company now has a couple of HD channels and more to come and I can get Dish HD - for now. I watch a lot of 4:3 from Dish and cable via TiVo including a fair amount of sports, so the various stretch modes offered by Mits appeal to me. I finally saw an acutal 713 on display yesterday and I am very impressed; they were, predictably, using 'Finding Nemo' as a demp and it looked great but I had them show me the worst cable channel, our local CBS affliate and it was still pretty good.

I've looked at the competitors, considered the Sony 70" but the picture just didn't knock me out and although the picture is very good on some of the 65s, especially the Toshiba and the Sony, I don't want to go down to what would be a smaller picture when compared to my 4:3 61" Sony. Finally, the room is 17 X 20 so space is not a problem but light is. There are two windows we can control with blinds but the other two walls have large, 8 foot archways and light comes splashing in and there is not much I can do about that if I want to stay married.

They are quoting $6,000 which is no huge bargain but it includes delivery and setup which means a lot with a set like this. I can find them on the net for around $5,000 but I am sure that freight would eat the $1,000 up in no time since I live in Alaska, let alone local delivery. Then, I'm trying to calibrate my set myself. Maybe not.

Any comments or cautions before I do this deal?

2. John S

John S Producer

73" Mtisu?? ahhhh I am jealous, it really doesn't get much better than that you know....

For Alaska, including delivery and setup...
    I don't think that is a bad price at all.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Wow! Nice choice. Have you had a chance to see the Pioneer Elite Pro-730HDi too?

4. Jim Wilke

Jim Wilke Extra

No, but it is a 64" set and I want as big a picture as I can find. I would go to a front projector if I could but with near 24 hour daylight in the summer and open archways, I can't control the light as well as I'd like so RP is it for me.

BTW, I went back to the dealer today to check on delivery and found they won't have a unit in stock to sell me for a week or more. The one I was looking at on the floor had been sold to guy who had a 65" loaner. The dealer sold the 65 so he delivered the 73 so I have to wait. They did have an 82" on the floor with an HD feed. For a brief second I was reaching for my checkbook....