Mits 65807??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph_W, May 18, 2001.

1. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

My kids (teenagers) want 65" not 55". They want 16X9, not 4X3. The Mits 807 fits the budget. We will sit about 13 feet from the screen. I expect it will get used for mostly DVD's, we have average cable. I have an old Toshiba DVD player, no plan to upgrade to a progressive immediately.
    65" too large?
    Will cable be bearable?
    I tend to be more picky on sound than picture. (I hear much better than I see!!) Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Joseph,
    I don't think 13' is too close for this set. I have the 65-857 and I sit about that far back from it.
    I have a progressive DVD player hooked up to this set which gives a wonderful picture. I could set my player's component output to interlaced and post my observations on picture quality if you would be interested. Let me know.
    Cable and satelite are okay(Mits isn't known for having the best line doublers but it's fairly comparable to similar Toshibas I've seen) but I mainly watch DVDs anyway.
    You mentioned being pickier on sound than picture.
    Does this mean that you plan on mainly using the set's speaker system rather than a surround system? If so, I would look at the new Sony 65". I love my Mits but the Sony SOUNDED lots better IMO. If you have an A/V setup already, the Mits is a great set.
    Just my 2 cents.
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

If you have Time Warner Cable, I know they offer HD over in the Tampa area...You may want to look into that...Tampa Channels area network affiliates also are digital and pass HD programming over the air...CBS and ABC especially..
    ------------------

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    65" and 13' is fine. I have a 64" widescreen and sit that distance. My brother has the Mitsubishi model you are looking at and sits and bit further - maybe 19'. If you are doing HT with a center channel from that distance with that TV you may find it is better to put the speaker on a stand in front of the TV (depending on the size of your main speakers naturally) since the screen is at higher point that may other TVs of the same size.

5. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies!
    Rin, I do plan to use separate speakers for sound. In fact I have spent the last two months reviewing speakers all over the Bay area. Just brought them home last night. Now the rest of the family is ready for me to buy the TV!
    Phil mentioned that I might want to put the middle speaker under the screen, a thought I was having myself. My speakers are about 39 inches high, a ways below the top of the 65807!
    Mike, I have Time Warner. I assumed you had to get their digital cable (more money per month, I assume) to get HD. I'll check into it. I'll probably be in the market for a progresive DVD soon. I was hoping the prices would really drop as they became more abundant. Then a rack, a sub, a better amp, a DTS pre/pro..... it never ends, I hear!!!
    Thanks again,
    Joe