Mits 65615 not going to prog scan

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnRi, Sep 9, 2005.

1. JohnRi

JohnRi Auditioning

This is obviously some user error, but I can't get my new 65615 to switch to anything other than 480i. I have it hooked up through the component inputs, and the disk on the screen says its running progressive scan mode.. (I don't have any HD sources at this point, so I have no idea if it would switch to 1080i) It is my understanding that it is auto-detected as far as that goes.. Is there any guesses as to what I am doing wrong here? It seems as if it should be idiot proof LOL. Any advice is appreciated!

~John

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

3. Allan Jayne

Aolmost all CRT HDTV's display everything as 1080i, a few do 1080i HDTV shows as 1080i and DVD, VCR, and SDTV shows as 960i. There is no degradation and no undoing of progressive scan.

Still other HDTV's have a 1080i/540p switch which does an optical change that you may or may not believe improves the DVD and SDTV picture but which definitely degrades the HDTV picture.

For all intents and purposes, upconverting 480p to 540p versus 1080i is the same thing, and upconverting 480p to 960i consists of doing nothing

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. JohnRi

JohnRi Auditioning

On the upper left corner of the mitsubishi ws-65615's display, it tells you what type of signal the TV is recieving. When I have a progressive scan DVD hooked up to it, it is still saying that it is recieving a 480i signal instead of the 480p it should be saying it has. I don't currently have a second DVD player that supports progressive scan untill next payday when I can go buy a tester. I was just wondering if there was a menu setting that I had missed somewhere, or if it is more likely that it is a situation where its my DVD player.

~John

5. Allan Jayne

Look for a progressive/interlaced setting on the DVD player, either in an on screen menu or as a switch at the rear of the player or a specific button on the player remote control. Every progressive player has this manual setting.

6. John S

John S Producer

Your DVD player is not putting out 480p.

Best of luck.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

lol ... as john s so ... "succintly" said, it's not your tv - it's your dvd player. check the dvd manual and find out how to kick it over to "progressive" mode.

you're right about the mits display telling you the correct resolution. also, not sure if you know or not, but your tv can only do 1080i ... not 720p.

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    It could be that your actual DVD is not correctly flagged.

ie: on some TVs Video Essentials (in 4x3 mode) is received as 480i even though the player is set to output 480p.

Regards

Gregg

9. Allan Jayne

When a properly functioning progressive DVD player is set to 480p progressive mode, the component video output will deliver a [email protected] video signal regardless of how the DVD was flagged. The composite and S-video outputs will always deliver 480i, or in some cases deliver nothing when the player is in progressive mode.

10. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Some DVD players have an auto 480p mode. You actually let it decide when to goto 480p and when not to. When such a feature is used ... DVD's that are 4:3 are typically output at 480i ... and 16:9 material is at 480p. Look for this type of setting in the DVD set up.

You want to force it to 480p full time.

Regards