What's new

Mits 55411 text and 4x3 ? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I went to Tweeters armed with some of my own DVDs and loaded them up in the player that was connected to the 55411. I was impressed at first... but when I played the intro to Star Wars: TPM, the big crawl didn't look quite right to me. Instead of all yellow, some of the letters seemed to have more white in them. Almost like every other letter was a little whiter. There didn't seem to be a solid yellow color for the whole thing.

Then I popped in a Star Trek: Next Gen DVD from the Season 4 set. Even though I had changed the screen format to 3x4 mode (The grey bars were clearly displayed on the sides) everyone still had a case of the short and fats. Riker looked like Orson Wells (the later years!) The salesman, who was new on the job, had no explanation for this. Do all these sets not display 4x3 material correctly? It was not really super squished (as in one of the widescreen modes) but it was enough to be a distraction. I then used the zoom mode and although they were now all proportioned correctly, I would not be able to watch it with tops of heads being cut off. (Stretch was also distracting) I would assume that I would have gotten the same results with any 4x3 source (Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, etc...)

Was it just this TV or have you all noticed it with this particular model?

After I got home, I also thought that maybe the DVD player had to go thru some sort of adjustment change? Is this possible? I'm sorry, I didn't even pay attention to what kind of DVD player it was!

~ Ric

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Don't know about the color issue, but there may be an explanation for the geometry problem.

I can't speak for this specific TV, but I know some sets lock into full mode when getting a progressive signal, even when its not an anamorphic title, as is TNG.

If the DVD player was connected via progressive output, that could have been the issue.

That said, I think most newer sets allow the user to override this. There are a lot of 55411 users here, perhaps someone will comment.

BL

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
It works well for me. I can't speak to the color issue, but most likely the set was poorly calibrated or the lighting was bad.

As for the aspect ratio. If you are playing 4:3 material on a DVD player set for 16:9, the TV needs to be in a 16:9 mode. The DVD player will add black bars to the image. If you saw the gray bars, you selected the wrong format. The TV allows you to change modes even when a 16:9 image is passed in, so that you can expand non-amorphic DVDs and the like. Most likely you needed to have the TV set to Standard.

Users who are viewing this thread