What's new

Mits 48-311 Opinions? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I am looking at buying this set for my new house.

I will be about 10 feet away, and my wife and I feel that this will be the perfect size. It will strike a balance between a big picture, no scan lines visible from the seating position and not dominating the family room.

I was wondering if those who have this set can post their impressions of it. I had a Mitsubishi before we sold our old house, and left it, as it was part of a built in media niche, but it wasn't HiDef or widescreen. I am looking forward to finally getting an HD TV and experiencing HiDef when I get a tuner.

I was looking at the Panasonic 47WX42, but my sales guy at Ultimate Electronics showed my wife and I the Mits 48311, and my wife immediately liked the look of the tv better. I really like Mits, and I have heard that their TV's are built really well and have a good reliability record. They are selling an open box set for $1799, and I am thinking that is a deal I can't pass up. It looked like they had taken the TV right out of the box, and the salesguy said they probably didn't have room in the warehouse in the back, and just took it out of the box and sold as an open box. Any downsides to this?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Depends on why it is an "open box"? Was it returned, demoed, floor model etc?
I just bought a new in the box 48311 from "The Home Theater Store" in Dallas for 1735.00 so I think you can find a deal on a new one. I have seen the TV for under 1700 at a few places but I wanted good service and set-up.
So far so good, I owned a 46809 before this one and I do like this one better. I too have it in a small room (dimly lit) This thing is "Bright" I am having a little trouble getting it set up right as I only have cable (crap) and DVD (excellent). Soon to be moving to Colombus, Ohio, there I must have it ISFd and put a STB on it.
I don't remember having this much trouble with the 46809 but it also took awhile to settle down. I don't care for the snap on grille in the front, everytime you move the set the grill falls off, however once it is ISFd it won't be moved anymore.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Thanks Guy!

I agree, the open box depends on why it is open box. But by looking at it, it still had the styrofoam "lint" on it, like it had literally just come out of the box onto the floor. They had one that didn't have the screen shield because it was cracked, and were still charging the same price - I was surprised.

I am finding out from another contact what they can get me the 48311 for. We have a good relationship with him, as we have bought a lot of stuff from him in the past, and he usually gives us a good deal. I am hoping he will match the $1799 price for a brand new one in the box. I can only hope but I won't hold my breath.

I am glad to see that you are really enjoying this set - I am hoping I will, too.

Thanks,
Bryan

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Brian,
I made the mistake of listening to the salesman about how to remove the protective screen and when I removed it I broke it. . . 83 bucks, thought I would get the better screen for the Diamond 55incher and cut ut down to size , 334 dollars. Now I am looking for an alternative, some sort of anti-glare plastic, I am sure this bunch in this forum could help me out.
I am having a slight peoblem with reflections inside the set ( I think) creating a "halo" effect around white objects during dark scenes. It created a little trouble setting contrast and brightness using VE, actual viewing is great however, can't wait to get moved and put an ISFer on it, I am sure this person can make a great picture extrodinary(?) you know what I mean.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
BRYAN,
Please excuse my spelling, I was looking right at your name and spelled it wrong anyway. Sorry______guy_

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
One more time, this may be some help.
My work takes me all over the country and about a month ago I was in Travers City, MI. That evening I went to the lounge at the motel I was staying at. They had a big screen TV about a 50 or so that you couldn't tell what the picture was as the convergence was so bad. It was early and I was the only customer there, I asked the waitress how old that TV was, she said she had been there for 18 years and it was there when she started. I asked if anyone ever worked on it and she said the remote was lost years ago and they were using a universal remote to turn it off and on and to change the volume level. I asked her if I could look at it as it was driving me crazy trying to watch a ball game, sure she said. When I got up to it I found that it was an old Mitsubishi and from the front panel I was able to help it a lot, everyone there thought I was a hero, the picture was good, bright, color good. This old Mits was at least 20 years old playing from 9AM untill 1:30 in the morning 7 days a week, with no service of any kind (so they said and I believe it) needless to say that told me something, I don't know what it would look like under bright lites, the cabinet I mean, nicotine stains were horrible (it was a bar) yet it was still watchable, so much for the stroll down memorie lane, you know what I own. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks