What's new

Mits. 46807....WOW! (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've now been to several stores and I am very impressed with this TV. I did some seating tests to see how it would look in my room and at 6.5' and 9.5' (distances from TV to eyes when seated in my HT room) it looks great. Even at the closer 6.5' using a regular dvd player and cheap-o rca cables that the store was using the picture is better than what I have now. As with the red push issue, I'd say faces look a tad pink, but definatly not over-kill. It did not bother me in the slightest, very minor issue. Toy Story was playing and it looked awesome.
So, it looks as though TONIGHT is the night I go and get it. My wife is coming along and I am going to take advantage of Mits. 12 month: no down, no payments and no intrest. This way I will have my money make some money and then pay it off before the 1 year is up.
If not tonight I'm sure this week some time I'll get it. As soon as I get it, I'll need the low-down on tweaking this thing.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon/

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Good luck on this purchase, Ron. I too was impressed by the set at Ken Cranes, but was convinced to wait for two reasons:
1. The "optional" $300 matching stand which really isn't optional...unless you're sitting on the floor or already have a stand to put this TV on.
2. Panasonic has the new 47" coming out in June/July and my dealer carries Panasonic, so I won't have to pay full MSRP on it. Seems like it will come in around the same price as the 46807.
Just thought I'd throw that out there (not to put doubts in your mind, but to let you know that "reinforcements are on the way"). I think this is the year that moderately priced, mid-sized 16:9 HD-ready RPTVs are going to start creeping into homes. They are all coming in between $2000-$2500.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
That's awesome, Ron. I hear there is a cheap radio shack adapter/connector one could buy to fix the red push problem; it attaches to the red RCA (component vid) or something like that (check out inquiries at hometheaterspot.com). Anyway, The Green Room Will Be Sweet!
------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Equipment List

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
I too couldn't pass up this deal.
I wasn't even in the market for the set last week and then I started doing some reaserch.... with my small room (seating area is only 11x14 with the TV on the long wall) anything bigger than the 46807 would be too big. Anything much smaller and 4:3 content would have been less than my 35" Sony I was replacing.
I already had a stand for the 35" and it just happened to fit the Mits perfectly (I had to remove a hutch though). Heck the Mits even had plenty of room for my Studio CC (not exactly a small center) on top and it was LIGHTER than the 35".
The Mits was it.
Plus with the financing and with tweeter's prefferd customer sale I was able to pick it up for $1899.
Wow.... I also just placed an order for a DVD-RP91K today.... the ONLY thing in my HT I haven't upgraded in the last 3 months will be my TiVo. :)
In Feburary I had an all Sony setup and by July there won't be any Sony at all.

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Since Ron would use it exclusively for DVD playback.. the red push issue is moot as it can be corrected on the Component input but not others..
I think http://www.hometheaterspot.com
------------------
Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks guys! I am excited and believe it or not, so is my wife. We did not make it to Ken Cranes last night as my daughter was not feeling good, so we are going tonight. They offer the extended warranty for $349.00 for 5 years so I will most likely add it. This will be my first projection TV so I don't mind adding the warranty for a little comfort buffer. Although they are out of stock he told me I will most likely get it by the weekend
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

From what I have seen, the red-push issue is not a major deal, but like you said Chuck, the parts can be had at RS, I believe for about 15-20 bucks if needed.
Like with Alan, the stand that my Sony is on will work perfectly. I am going to add a bigger top to is as it is only 36" wide and the Mits is 41" but the stand is rated for 195lbs, I know the Mits is about 166lbs. So I am covered there.
I thought about waiting to see what summer offers, but the Mits is a perfect size, they have been around for awhile and the specs on the new models coming in July/August are nothing major. Same guts, mostly cosmetic changes from what I have read. They are changing the color of the frame around the screen from black to silver
confused.gif
why I do not know, but I want an all black TV so that also pushed me to buy now. There is still no word if the new models will have the red-push issue fixed.
Another reason is the $1,998 price, it is right in my budget as I really did not want to spend much more than that, add the 12 month finance deal, free shipping and set-up and it is tough to beat.
I haven't even gotten past this up-grade and I'm already thinking progressive by summers end.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Way to go Ron! You will love it! I bought the 55807 a few weeks ago, and worried myself to death for two solid weeks as to whether or not I should have gone with the 65807. I finally came to the conclusion that I had correctly researched the set in the first place, and that my decision to purchase the 55" was the correct one, within my parameters. It was like the weight of the world being lifted from my shoulders!!! I actually hadn't truly enjoyed the set until I came to this conclusion. Now I am really enjoying it. Even my attention span challenged wife has enjoyed viewing a COMPLETE movie or two!
My challange now is to find some tempered glass to help support the weight of my B&W LCR6 center channel speaker and Lovan Director stand. The top of the 55807 is not bowing yet, but... :)
When you make your decision, LEAVE IT ALONE! Someone will have a better, cheaper set out the next day - WHO CARES!!!
Have fun!
Pete

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
There's another good reason to buy now as opposed to waiting for the new sets.... the rumor on hometheaterspot.com is that Mits is going to be changing hwo the service menus is going to be accessed. There are going to be additional codes that you have to transmit from a special "service remote".
It implies that Mits no longer wants to support the tweakers out there, which is a real shame.
Regardless of future policy though.... the 46807 is really well known and fairly well documented. So if someone wants a set to play with any of the 807 line is a great choice.
Like Ron I also opted for the service policy. Supposedly that service include 5 vistits to do ISF callibration, which is well worth the $350, IMHO.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
So is the next LA HT meet going to be at your house?
Please let us know your experiences with this set once you get it up and running!
Congrats on your new purchase.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Congrats, Ron
icon14.gif
Tell us what you think when you get it and have a chance to play around with it a bit.
Alan: $350 for 5 ISF visits? I have a strong suspicion that these "ISF" sessions consist of popping in Avia or VE and doing simple calibration any of us could do.
------------------

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
Am I 100% sure these are ISF sessions. No. The letters ISF never once came up.
However, I do know that Tweeter does have ISF certified techs. (The Tweeters in Houston are former Home Entertainment, Inc. stores.... they are still listed that way on the ISF site).
I also know that the $350 is for the plan. You still are responsible for scheduling the session. I imagine they are banking on the fact that the average home user would never even schedule the tech to come out at all.
Finally, I asked the salesman specificially if the guy was only going to come out and set the color balance, brightness and convergence, and he said, "No you do all of that yourself. The tech would be making adjustments that aren't in the consumer accessible controls." (paraphrased).
That implies to me setting up the color of grey, and the like. Maybe they won't be a fully ISF certified session, but the implication is certainly more than what we can do with VE/Avia.
If I'm mistaken you better beleieve me I'll be getting a $350 credit back on my Mitsubishi card. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Mitsu makes some really nice RELIABLE projection TVs. Mine's almost 5 years old now and has been moved three times. It still works like new. IMO your money is better spent on a real third party ISF calibration from someone like Louis Carliner or Robert Jones than most store calibrators. My friend got that kind of a deal with his Mitsu widescreen, and it was only basic convergence and geometry that they did. The geometry and convergence is worth spending that money on if you are happy enough with a Video Essentials / Avia picture.
Another green room with a Mitsu big screen. My letterbox movie picture is about the same size, but the pic isn't nearly as good from an old NTSC than a new HD model.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Oh, BTW, it's about time you got yourself a projector!
biggrin.gif
Be prepared to love it!!!
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Hey RonP,
Chris here again, from up north. I'll be in SoCal this weekend visiting the folks in Laguna. I'll be spending most of the time adjusting my Dad's new HT setup (Hitachi 53"HDTV, Sony S570 DVD, Sony 333ES Receiver, Klipsch system 6). It'll be fun getting into the Hitachi's service menu to do a proper convergence (rather than the idiotic single-crosshair provided in the main menu), and bringing the old AVIA disc in to tweak the rest of the system.
Where did you see the Mits? I'd love to go take a look at it. Best of luck with it.
Regards,
Chris

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Whats up Chris?
Ken Cranes is where I will be going tonight to order the set. The Good Guys also has it, but Kens is a much more stable company, they've been around for 25+ years. I'm leery of the GGs. Plus Kens will deliver and set it up for free, GGs wants $55.00.
I've got a busy 3 day weekend ahead, but if you have a little time maybe we can try and hook up? Drop me an e-mail and I'll shoot you my #.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats, Ron!
Been following your quest too and I think you'll be very pleased with the Mits. I know I love mine. If you are going to tweak, I can help with some of the basic stuff like the red push attenuator,I built one for my set(I bought extra resistors, you're welcome to use what you need), and disabling SVM, etc. I plan on waiting until the set is about 6 months old and having an ISF done on it. Until then, I am pretty much just going to let it be.
rin
------------------
My Home Theater

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I'm excited to hear about your purchace! As far as the warranty goes...I usually don't like them except on RPTV's. I have a 3 year old Mits and had my first problem with it this past weekend. The tech came out last night and replaced the IC's on the convergence board and said that the service call would have cost me about $325 if I didnt have the warranty.
I'm not saying your TV will need the warranty or it wont but if you have the $350 I would do it.
I also second the recommendation to head over the http://www.hometheaterspot.com
------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

So Ron: Is there a reason we haven't heard from you lately? Maybe you got that Mits last night? Come on, give us the skinny! How's the new toy?
Chris
------------------
Christian A. Sonntag
"The world owes you nothing. Take responsibility for your own actions!"

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks guys!
It is done
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
Ken Cranes is delivering it on Saturday. They were out of stock but expecting them in today.
I, along with my wife are very excited. Last night was the first time she saw the TV (or any 16:9 for that matter) and she was amazed. I brought my TS dvd along and she made the comment about how much more "life like" the picture looked.
The TV was $1,998.00 and the extended warranty was $349.00 add the tax and it came to $2,497.00. For the 350, I could not pass up the warranty. It covers 100% of the unit, in home and for 5 years, that's $70.00/year, a no brainer in my book. Hooked it all up via the Mits. 12 month pay nothing deal. I hate putting things on credit, but a free year, can't pass it up. I'll keep my money in the bank, making money and pay it off at the 11 month mark.
I will be posting more and more tweaking questions here after I get this beast up and running. I've been to HomeTheaterSpot many a time and watched the threads. Many seem to be happy with the Radio Shack attenuator, model #15-678 for $6.99. I am going to pick it up today and have it on hand and ready to go.
Thanks again for all your help and support :)
Peace Saturday cannot come fast enough Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
You suck :)
I was planning for a rptv but now i am thinking fp.BUT I WANT IT NOW.I have to wait until feb.before i can get anything cause we just ordered a new computer so that put a dent in my spending money.
------------------
"And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.