Mitigating two open sides of my theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MurrayB, Nov 21, 2003.

1. MurrayB

MurrayB Auditioning

Hello

(my first post)

I am constructing a HT in my 800 square foot basement. The basement will be a combo HT/ pool room. I am not concerned about light issues as I believe I have that sufficiently addressed.

The problem I (may) have is that I only have a front wall and right side wall and I am worried about the acoustics.

For a variety of reasons, I could not set the screen up in the middle of one side of the room, so I am settling for the far right quadrant. There is plenty of room, but no wall on the left side...an open area approx 12 feet across to be partially filled by a pool table. Also, behind the seats will be another open 10 feet with a foosball table.

The walls are sheetrocked, the ceiling is a drop ceiling, and I will have a thick berber carpet with industrial density pad.

I plan on playing 70/30 music to movies.

I am concerned that one side of the theater will have a reflection, and the other side won't.

What do you think? If this is an issue, what are ways to mitigate the situation?

Thanks in advance!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, reflection on one side only could do strange things. Seems to me that the only way to rectify the situation would be to eliminate as much as possible any reflections from the right wall. This would call for liberal absorption – such as heavy drapery the entire length of the wall, or perhaps carpet on the wall.

There are some folks here more knowledgable about acoustics than I am - hopefully they will chime in.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt