What's new

Miter saw advice (1 Viewer)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
I've been in the market for a miter saw for some time now. I haven't really pulled the trigger yet since there are so many to choose from and the slider versions are so expensive.

I happened to be strolling through Home Depot today and out of the corner of my eye I noticed this:

It looked fantastic. Smooth, sliding, 12", 15 amps... *but* also $537 (if I remember right... its either that or $597 but Home Depot's site is so ridiculous sometimes trying to find products they carry in-store). Normally, I'd keep on walking due to price, but there was a big sign attached stating that you get the $200 table it was on for free with the purchase. I've always said I'd get a table for the saw whenever I got one, but this was the mack daddy table.

click here for bad picture of table

Really nice stand though. dual rollers on each side. I guess my only concern is the name. Ridgid is something I don't know anything about. DeWalt, Makita, Delta... those are names I know. Can anyone comment on the Ridgid products... durability, value etc... Is this a good deal or am I just being a "sucker for packaging".

Sliding miters is what I really want (not that I couldn't get by without it), and with the nice stand it *appears* to be a decent deal, but I'd like some more experienced input.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Ridgid is the "store brand" for Home Depot, in the past they have always made nice tools and provided decent repair and customer support. They have currently beed bought "from" home depot by a company called Ryobi. They (Ryobi) is promising to support Ridgid for years to come. But the real question is do want to spend that much for a miter saw and table?Have you looked on Amazong for a similar Dewalt Saw/Table combo?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
what do you mean ridgid is the store brand for HD? ridgid itself has been around for quite awhile in the plumbing/heating tools market long before I saw power tools at HD with their name plastered on it. Do they have some sort of agreement?
as far as pipe threading tools and wrenches, ridgid is one of hte best, never used their power tools though

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Rigid is exclusive to HD AFAIK, which is why they feature it. I don't know what it is, but I have yet to find a Rigid tool that I am willing to purchase. There is always some feature or convenience on the name brands that seal the deal with me.

I have the Delta Sidekick sliding compound mitre saw, and so far it has been great. My only quibble is that the legs want to unfold when carrying it flat, which I had to do to get it out of my basement. Fortunately, that problem is now history. I think I paid ~$629CAN for the saw.

If you don't want the sliding feature (which is pretty handy for larger stock) I'd look for one with a laser saw guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.