Mit vs. Pan vs. Sony vs. Tosh HDTV receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeJames, Feb 28, 2001.

1. MikeJames

MikeJames Auditioning

Mitsubishi SSR-HD500
    Panasonic TU HDS20
    Sony SAT-HD100
    Toshiba DTS-3000
    Which one should I get?
    Is there a really winning UI?
    I like the low res Sony Sat UI. It lets to see the video
    at the same time you can see a really nice menu system.
    Is the Sony HiDef Sat UI the same as the old UI?
    Only the Panasonic has a NTSC doubler/scaler - is this a killer feature??? What are the MUST have features?
    I want the best unit, not the best price.
    There is a good comparison of all the HD Sat recievers at: http://www.twice.com/DTVcharts/tops.html if you want a pretty complete list of all the receviers and the top features side by side.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Corey K

Corey K Auditioning

Mike,
    Your question is hard to answer. Having no idea what your main use for the STB will be. What set you are hooking it to?
    The sony will allow your set to handle the Aspect ratio control instead of the STB. I see the doubler in a STB as a downside. Your set should have a better doubler than one included in a stb.
    Some have said the Mits box has a dark picture. My vote so far is for the sony. With its variable mode out for component video. Will have to see. I have one on order and am awaiting.
    If you include more info on your setup it would be helpful to those that can help you. Just asking which is best is somewhat subjective without specifics. Using your sets aspect ratio control may be important, if you have one of the sets that "lock" on a progressive signal. If you watch alot of 4:3 programming you will need aspect control someway or another. Im not sure how good the stretch modes are on the other STB like the tosh, mits.
    Corey

3. MikeJames

MikeJames Auditioning

Hi,
    I have a Sony 36" XBR 400 HD"READY"TV. This is a 4:3
    aspect ration TV. I definately would hook it up using
    component video.
    I care about the user interface of the reciver. (I like
    the one Sony did for their older Sat reciever.) Dolby
    support is certainly a must.
    I thought the line doubler would be neat to have so you could plug the old cable box into the sat receiver and it wold up convert the low res signal for you. I don't know how well this stuff actually works. I just read about it. The panasonic unit includes this feature. The sony box does not have this feature. Does this just provide a little flicker reduction?
    Mike

4. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

>>>I thought the line doubler would be neat to have so you could plug the old cable box into the sat receiver and it wold up convert the low res signal for you.