mistakes in songs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

come together both versions. steven tyler and joe perry sound like that they were on drugs or alchohol when they recorded this. perry is just doing wierd solos in between parts.

twards the end of the beatles version, you can hear somebody whisper or make somekind of mistake

let it be. the piano player playes a note down at the end of the guitar solo right as mccartny starts saying let it be

2. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Supposedly that really crazy note in Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets' during the guitar solo was the result of Kirk Hammet losing control of his fingers, and pulling the string off of the neck and onto a pickup by accident. I guess he thought it sounded cool and decided to whammy the hell out of it anyway.

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again."

The keyboards have a few 'mistakes' in there.

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" - supposedly the organ player was brought in at the last minute and didn't get to rehearse, much less learn, the song. He changed chords one beat late so he could watch the guitar player and see what the next chord was!
    And a few from my favorite band, U2.
    1- "Love Rescue Me" from Rattle and Hum. BIG bass snafu about 2/3 of the way through.
    2- "Ultra Violet" from Achtung Baby. After the 2nd chorus, there's a weird little drop off in the drumming. Supposedly, Larry dropped a stick at that point. Damn drummers[​IMG]
    3- "The Unforgettable Fire" from, what else, The Unforgettable Fire. Notice the two stick counts. The earlier one was a mistake, as Larry came in too early. Some claim that right after this, you can hear him say "Oh shit!" Damn drummers again[​IMG]

5. Ryan L B

dream on. tyler has a diffferent voice, why, and also, also around 2 min in he makes some kind of spitting sound.

found another one train at the grammys, aparently the guitar was unplugged since you could not hear it over the piano and the string section

6. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Paul McCartney starts to crack up in one of the verses to "Maxwell's Silver Hammer."

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

There are tons of left in bloopers on the instrumentation for Highway 61 Revisited, but it gives the music a fantastic and slightly rugged sound.

8. Ryan L B

why does the voice sound different

9. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

In Louie Louie by the Kingsmen, the singer comes in a bit too early after the break, he stops abruptly, then starts at the correct place.

What gets me is that why is this a mistake on this song, yet on the Mamas and Papas song "I saw her again" tthe same thing happens and its not a mistake?

10. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

Re: Aerosmith's Dream On

In what way, and in what part of the song does Tylers voice sound different? I never noticed. Seeing that the song appears on their first album, and he was some 25 years (or so) younger then, you may say his voice sounds different NOW.

11. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

12. Ryan L B

i mean listen to the newer stuff, then go back to the dream on. it was higher pitched and now his voice is more muffled just IMO

13. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    On Van HAlen Fair Warning "So this is Love?" at the beginning after the bass and drums start there is a highly noticable drop-out, like somebody hit the master volume knob or something.

14. Wes T

Wes T Stunt Coordinator

Interesting thread. Personally, I like the mistakes myself. Back in the old days, before digital, bands used to actually play together. Nowadays we just fix the mistakes digitally. Everything just always sounds so perfect. I like some of the old Led Zeppelin where you can hear the squeak in the bass drum pedal. I always listen for the drummer to miss the drum and hit the rim on Ted Nugent's stranglehold. How about side two of Rush moving pictures. (The long track, don't know the name) Sounds like someone walks into the studio and says "morning fellas". Old Van Halen has a bunch of little mistakes in them. I always thought that these little errors just added to the realism of the band actually playing the music. I like a lot of the newer music as well, but I do hear a lot less of these kinds of mistakes. Either they are just fixing the flaws digitally, or they are playing it over until they get it 100 percent right. I am willing to bet that it is much easier to just fix it with software. I have pretty much given myself away as an old ex-stoner from the 70s/80s with this post...Oh well. :b

Wes T

Who likes his old records with the scratches in all the right places!

15. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Tommy Flannigan playing the piano on Coltrane's Giant Steps. If you listen you can hear him get too caught up and lose it and then get back into time.

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Eric Clapton on the solo in Layla from the Unplugged album. He just stops for a sec as if he missed a few notes.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Van Morrison's "Moondance" has what is commonly known among bass players as one of the worst performances on the bass guitar ever recorded.

18. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Ryan,

That's called advancing age on Mr. Tyler's part.

In the portions of Dream On where his voice changes, he is in his falsetto register, which is supposed to sound different. Falsetto is where the character of a males voice changes -- it usually gets softer and almost feminine sounding.

Someone who knows more about singing than I do can probably explain this much better.

Regards,

19. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Rich,
    With the tempo of Giant Steps somewhere in the vicinity of MM = 360, methinks Tommy can be given a little slack [​IMG] I don't think Tommy ever gets it just right rhtymically during his improvisation on Giant Steps.
    If you listen to multiple takes of this track (some copies of Giant Steps have alternate takes) you will see that 'Trane doesn't vary his improvisations much. Not a critique, I had a bitch of time playing it at 3/4 tempo, transcribed!
    Regards,

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden