Mission m72 vs PolkAudio RT35i

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Veroukis, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Greetings!

I'm looking for a new set of bookshelf speakers for my bedroom. These speakers will act as my mains, I have no center yet but I do have some very generic speakers for rears. I don't have too much to spend and I've narrowed down the selection to two candidates:

Mission m72

PolkAudio RT35i

They both employ a 6 1/2 driver and 1" tweeter. They both sound pretty good and it seems that the Polk has some pretty good bass. What I really like about the Mission's is their really sharp looks (they'd look great in my room!), while the Polk's look really bland if not dull. However, since no store in town sells both of these lines of speaker I am unable to really compare them side by side. I am just curious to see what people think of either of these speakers, both in sound quality and build quality.

Honestly I don't know much about either company except that I believe they are both British. Is either preferred or respected more over the other? Are there any drawbacks I should be aware of? Does anyone who owns either of these speakers have any opinions on the matter? Has anyone been able to compare the two speakers side by side? All opinions or suggestions are welcome (even if you wish to suggest other brands, be my guest). In addition to those speakers above I have auditioned PSB, Klipsh and even Energies. The latter two are great but blow my budget. I haven't listened to the Klipsh bookshelves, just the towers and they're nice, real nice. The PSBs I thought were not that clear. Could have been the setup? I don't know, I've heard so many good things about the PSBs I was a bit dissapointed when I heard them. Perhaps they deserve a re-listen?

Basically what I want is a speaker that can thump along without the need for a sub (I like bass). I know that's a tough order. Eventually these speakers will probably act as rears and I'll use towers for mains, but that's in the future. My setup is as follows:

Yamaha HTR-5450 5.1 digital amp

Yamaha 685 5 disc changer

2 Aiwa bookshelf speakers (main)

2. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

3. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

My loyalties? Hmmmm.

How's this for loyalties: The RT35i's (and their new model replacement, the RT38i) are my absolute favorite Polk speakers. For what they are (smallish bookshelf speakers), they sound amazingly clean and clear and very detailed, with a surprisingly wide dynamic range.

Seriously. Not just marketing poop. My personal opinion. I can't wait to get my own self a pair of the new 38s.

The 35s and 38s are rear vented, tho. They have small Power Port bass vents on the back, which help their extension and serve as nifty built in keyhole wall moutning brackets. Now that's marketing poop!

Listen and decide for yourself!

MC

4. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

I have the Polk RT35i for a bedroom system and I am very impressed with their sound. They are very clean, accurate, and revealing. The sound is actually quite a bit more revealing and coloration free than my Klipsch KLF20 floorstanders, but this is expected due to the differences in size of floorstanders vs. bookshelves. I have never listened to the Mission m71s but they got a good review in last month's issue of Stereophile. They were also compared to the Polk RT25i which compared favorably to the Missions, so it would only make sense for the RT35i to compare even better than the RT25i to the Missions. Another good budget bookshelf speaker seems to be the Wharfdale Diamond 8.1s, but I haven't heard them either. I honestly think you can't go wrong with any of them. Also, consider which brand would be most ideal to obtain in completing the rest of your system.