What's new

Mission Impossible ? (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I have also held off on this title. Here's hoping a SE will come out soon, but if not soon, in time to promote MI:3.

Oupei

Agent
MI is not anamorphic? I just watched the DVD at home and the "widescreen" version is definitely wider than 1.78. wait, if they put 2.35 in a letterboxed format on 4x3 it's still called "anamorphic" right?

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the delayed response to your previous post Mark. Given the R2 (which uses the same anamorphic PAL transfer) can be had for under $US13 from CD-Wow.net (and less if you can find a coupon), you may as well (if of course you can put up with the apparent PAL speed-up, which doesn't really concern me on non-music DVDs).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Nothing official, but there are strong rumors that there will be re-releases either in May when M:I-3 comes out in theaters, or later in the year when M:I-3 hits DVD.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I can finally cross this title off my list of films I'd like to have a Special Edition for!:D
If the companies start bombarding us with great Special Editions particulary of films I've been clamoring for it's going to be an information overload. 2006 is already looking great for long awaited, especially for me, better editions for titles which were released early in the format. Of course I'll now be updating my Special Editions wants thread once again.:crazy:

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
The 5.1 track on HBo is pretty stellar. It actually sounds better than the 5.1 track on the Laserdisc. I hope this makes it to the DVD because I would be thrilled. DTS would be a nice bonus but I'm not holding my breath with Paramount.
I was blown away by the dvd's 5.1 track. I found it very agressive for a movie with very little "action" scenes, aside from the sequence on top of the train near the end. DTS would be nice to see on the new disc (isn't the DTS laserdisc commonly included in lists of most impressive audio tracks?) or HBO's track if Paramount doesn't want to go the DTS route.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Maybe its just me, but this title just had me thinking this, I think Paramount is one of the only companies not to really do the double dip cept maybe something like Airplane or Titanic, no?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Over the last 12-18 months Paramount has double-dipped quite a bit, actually. However, it has usually been for titles that were originally released in the early years of DVD, 1997-1999. For the most part Paramount has been the major studio with the least amount of gratuitous re-releases.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Usually, if Paramount double dips, it's to re-release a non-anamorphic DVD as a anamorphic DVD.

Will I get this? If it's cheap enough and includes a ticket to MI:3.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
This technically isn't a "double-dip" since the first edition came out several years ago. This should be considered an upgrade. Double dips come out within very short time periods of one another while upgrades sometimes take years to get around to.
I couldn't care less if it came with a ticket. That isn't my main drive in buying the Special Collector's Edition of this. It was the news that this is finally getting the Edition it deserves. I don't understand peoples thinking sometimes. It'll be well worth the price and if you want cheap buy the current shite version and be done with it. No bitching or moaning.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Awesome. I love the first Mission Impossible, I've been waiting for a special edition for a while now, I thought we may see one with the release of MI3 though ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

DanR

Supporting Actor
Also, keep in mind that the CES 2006 press release for HD-DVD mentioned that all three MI films would be available on HD-DVD later this year. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't also re-release them on standard DVD as well.

Regards,
Dan

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Paramount is one of the only companies not to really do the double dip cept maybe something like Airplane or Titanic, no?
Paramount used to almost never double-dip, but now they do it all the time. The Star Trek films were their first main double-dip foray, but now they pop out lots of double-dips...

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Double-dipping typically involves having the special content already created and just waiting to release it, ala I, Robot and Man on Fire.

Alternately, I consider adding one or two features to an already decent edition to be a double-dip, such as what we saw with Men in Black.

The SCE of Mission: Impossible qualifies as an upgrade to me. The only feature on the first disc was a theatrical trailer, and I'm sure that the new DVD will contain some new supplements.

Ultimately, everyone has their own standards as to whether or not a new edition of a DVD is sufficiently different to buy the title again (or for the first time). In the case of the Star Trek films, M:I, and several others, I do not consider it double-dipping but providing consumers with a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks