What's new

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Way back when the movie VERTIGO was getting its big new DVD release and everyone was concerned with the sounds of the gunshots, Mr. Harris explained quite clearly about the process shots and how difficult they were to clean up.
Wow, I remember when I saw Vertigo projected on a big screen for a film discussion a few years ago and it was the the DVD. The very first thing I noticed was the gunshots being wrong. The DVD I do have now, though, sounds correct.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched Elena last night. Cool to see Barbara Luna before her appearance on Star Trek. :). This is the second or third time I’ve seen this episode.

I noticed on the titles credits, the photos of the cast were no longer so grainy and not so dark as those other episodes we discussed.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I was watching season two episode 21, The Town, and took this screen grab. I live right off this exit. I can tell you this has barely changed at all in 53 years! Except for extra lanes, it looks almost exactly the same, right down to the signs.
Capture.JPG

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I was watching season two episode 21, The Town, and took this screen grab. I live right off this exit. I can tell you this has barely changed at all in 53 years! Except for extra lanes, it looks almost exactly the same, right down to the signs. View attachment 91434

Since it has signs for a choice of westbound I-10 to L.A., or eastbound I-10/southbound U.S. 395 to Redlands and Riverside, I take it this must have been on one of the 5 series of Interstates in the L.A. area.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I watched Elena last night. Cool to see Barbara Luna before her appearance on Star Trek. :). This is the second or third time I’ve seen this episode.

I noticed on the titles credits, the photos of the cast were no longer so grainy and not so dark as those other episodes we discussed.
She also appeared a second time on Mission as an IMF agent and on the new Mission: Impossible as the villain.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wish The Slave would have been one episode. I generally don't enjoy the two parters because they're so padded. Jim walking around his office, thinking more than normal, etc. 7 minute recaps. The only show that I thought did every two-parter well was The Fugitive. Those scripts needed two parts.
That is one thing I have learned about classic TV. I realize that back then, a week between episodes it might have been justified, but watching them in binge succession is a chore.
Two part episodes should almost come with a warning label. If I see them on a DVD set, I skip them until last in order. I don't usually enjoy them...there are some rare exceptions.

Last edited:

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I finished season two. Here is my list of "okay," "good," and "great" episodes.

MI S2.JPG

For season two I have 9 "okay" episodes, 7 "good" episodes, and only 1 "great" episode.

For season one, I had 7 "okay," 5 "good," and 3 "great." (my list is a few posts back)

I never thought I'd say this since I don't recall seeing season one until I got the disc releases, but I think season one is a bit better than season two in terms of having more "great" episodes.

Starting season three now. Looking forward to seeing how it stacks up against one and two.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I just watched both halves of The Council (season 2), and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I like the two-parters for the Batman-like cliffhangers. I didn’t feel this one was padded.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I was watching season two episode 21, The Town, and took this screen grab. I live right off this exit. I can tell you this has barely changed at all in 53 years! Except for extra lanes, it looks almost exactly the same, right down to the signs. View attachment 91434

....Except for the cars!

Gas was probably under .40 cents a gallon back then! I was pumping it at my Dad's garage when it was 36.9!

I've REALLY been enjoying this box set! The episodes are very clean and sound great. And although I had watched most of the Peter Graves episodes first run, I've forgotten the plots (that can happen to a 65 year old sometimes) so now I can enjoy them once again..... For the first time. ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
....Except for the cars!

Gas was probably under .40 cents a gallon back then! I was pumping it at my Dad's garage when it was 36.9!

I've REALLY been enjoying this box set! The episodes are very clean and sound great. And although I had watched most of the Peter Graves episodes first run, I've forgotten the plots (that can happen to a 65 year old sometimes) so now I can enjoy them once again..... For the first time. ;)
Yes indeed. During my college years (which parallel four of the show's seven year run), before heading home, I'd go to a self serve pump that you fed dollar bills into before vending. One dollar would get me more than three gallons since it was around 33 cents a gallon. I can remember gas wars with neighboring stations where it got down to 18 cents a gallon.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Just got this M:I Blu-ray complete series set. Haven't had a chance to watch this yet (though I've seen the entire series on DVD), but wanted to say that I really like the packaging - it's fantastic. The red & white artwork is attractive & understated. I know having the Disks inserted into cardboard inserts isn't to everyone's liking, but IMHO it looks good & saves space. I also like how the cardboard packaging opens up with art/b&w photos from the show. It's also great that the disks in the cardboard aren't too tightly packaged; they're loose enough to easily remove, but not too loose that they'll keep falling out.

One of the issues I've had with TV series/movie packaging in the plastic cases is that - in some instances - the plastic tabs that the disks are held with break (even before the case is opened), causing the disks to move around in the packaging & thereby increases the chances/likely-hood of scratches.

For space reasons, I have stored a lot of my disks in plastic binders - so fully admit I'm biased towards this type of insert-like packaging (vs. plastic tab packaging) to begin with.

Last edited:

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Good luck with the cardboard sleeves in your Mission: Impossible set.

The first time I re-inserted a disc into its cardboard sleeve, I saw the sleeve put a fresh scratch onto the disc surface. Cardboard sleeves are now illegal at my house!

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Good luck with the cardboard sleeves in your Mission: Impossible set.

The first time I re-inserted a disc into its cardboard sleeve, I saw the sleeve put a fresh scratch onto the disc surface. Cardboard sleeves are now illegal at my house!
Thanks for the info. I may transfer these to plastic sleeves, but will still keep the cardboard case/box, since I really like the packaging.

I guess I was in denial about the cardboard sleeves. In the past I have typically transferred disks in cardboard sleeves to plastic sleeves right away, but in those other cases I didn't like the packaging as much.

Last edited:

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I have found that Blu-rays are far more resistant to scratches than DVDs. While it's true I have taken each disc out of its cardboard sleeve only once to convert it at original quality into MKV files, I had no compunction returning it to its terrible sleeve since these discs seem capable of fending for themselves. I would not, however, do the same for DVDs. They would get plastic cases immediately, even after conversion.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I hope you'll let us know what you think of the transfers once you begin watching them.
Definitely. But, it'll probably be next year before I see this M:I Blu set. I have a huge back-log of TV shows/movies to watch that I've never seen, and those take priority over M:I because I've seen the whole series once (on the DVD sets).

The reason I purchased the Blu set now is because the price was good. And, I didn't want to wait too long since the price would probably either go up, or the set would go OOP. It definitely seems like it's selling well, which is great.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for the info. I may transfer these to plastic sleeves, but will still keep the cardboard case/box, since I really like the packaging.

I guess I was in denial about the cardboard sleeves. In the past I have typically transferred disks in cardboard sleeves to plastic sleeves right away, but in those other cases I didn't like the packaging as much.
If you are interested, I did make covers that matched the original cardboard designs

Full Mission set is now in the Custom Cover thread

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...y-custom-cover-art-thread.308016/post-4938531

(you may need to scroll down to post 1017)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks