What's new

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
It was also fun to hear the score written by Gerold Fried who also wrote for Star Trek. ( I have the La La Land Mission Impossible soundtrack set. I have not opened it yet, it’s long overdue. )
There's an episode of Mission: Impossible with a score by Gerald Fried which sounds very much like his score for Star Trek's "Friday's Child." The title of the Mission episode? "Trek" (both episodes in their second seasons).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I remember that episode. I recall Mark Lenard is in it. And it was filmed at the same Vasquez Rocks location where the old Fort was that stood in for Cestus III. :) I look forward to seeing it again on the blu ray.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I just watched The Trial, which has the distinction of having Carroll O'Conner, before his role in In The Heat of the Night and of course, All In The Family. I thought it was very good, and I enjoyed seeing Michael Strong, who made a lasting impression from his guest appearance on Star Trek around the same time as this. I find I enjoy the episodes more that use the whole cast. There have been a few solo episodes, or ones that only use one or two main characters.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
1611241723130.png

Mark Lenard and Leonard Nimoy in a later MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE episode, "The Rebel".

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Here's what I'm doing: Watching the seasons backwards. I just finished Season 7, and have started Season 6.

Doing this for a couple of reasons. I've never seen many of the later episodes (they didn't rerun those very much here, where I live.) And since I already know the earlier seasons are my favorites (the loss of Landau and Bain nearly wrecked the show, for me), I'm "building up" to Season One, which is my favorite.

It'll be fun to think, "Look how the show is improving!" as I work my way through the seasons in reverse order.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched Operation Rogosh tonight. I haven’t seen this episode in some time and it was much better then I remembered it. I did notice a slight running long vertical line or scratch along the right edge of the image in the scene when Rogosh awakes in his cell. But it was minor. Overall, the image looks great.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
On sale for $85 at Amazon for those who are interested.
That's still more than I paid on release day from DD.

I agree that the image looks great. Pretty much every episode has a crisp image and vibrant colors. I don't think it's ever looked better. Those shows from the 60s have great genes, and I'd like to see more on blu-ray, like The Fugitive or Get Smart. Certainly, Star Trek and Batman look terrific too.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
On sale for $85 at Amazon for those who are interested.

You can still get it for less from DD as long as you're willing to wait for a 15% off coupon/code. I don't think they've changed the base price since its release. It's currently $85 with a $3.99 shipping surcharge. It would be $72.25 with a 15% off code.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I've had this set a while now. As a double dipper, I can tell you I have zero regrets getting the Blu-rays. Best $75 I ever spent on seven seasons of classic TV on HD. It's made me get out the soundtrack set and start listening to it again. A few quibbles (a scratch or pop here or there) but couldn't be happier with these Blu rays.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
This is the opening shot of episode 125: Shock. I swear these are Horta eggs. One of the things I most love about Mission Impossible in the early years is so much crossover between it at TOS. And with the Blu rays, it's even more fun to see the detail in the overlap.

horta eggs.JPG

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is the opening shot of episode 125: Shock. I swear these are Horta eggs. One of the things I most love about Mission Impossible in the early years is so much crossover between it at TOS. And with the Blu rays, it's even more fun to see the detail in the overlap.

View attachment 88486
I watched this one last night. Lots of crossover with Star Trek -- James Daly, the main guest star in this episode, was Flint on Requiem For Methuselah. Vic Perrin, who played Dr. Drake, a member of the IM force, was in several Star Trek episodes: he was the voice of the Keeper in the Menagerie, the voice of Metron in Arena, the voice of Nomad in The Changeling, and he played Tharn in Mirror Mirror. (Also, guest star Sorrell Booke went on to play Boss Hogg in The Dukes of Hazzard.)

Peter Yee

Premium
If that's true, perhaps it's because both programs were Desilu productions?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
TREK, MISSION, and MANNIX all shared production facilities at Desilu, later Paramount, and also shared was the casting director, Joseph D'Agosta, who would sign guest stars for multiple series on the same contract. In other words, sign here and you get guaranteed work on two or three of our series.

A famous example is Leslie Parrish, who appeared in the STAR TREK "Who Mourns For Adonais?" famously dressed in a William Ware Theiss creation, later appeared on MANNIX in "The Girl In The Frame" - wearing the same gown!:

1612890563038.png

Also in that MANNIX episode was William Windom and Michael Pataki, two more TREK actors, and Windom got to do two more MISSION episodes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have not got to that episode yet with the Horta eggs! It is fun to see how the prop department shared items between the shows.

I’ve never seen that episode of Mannix, it was a pretty egregious re-use of that gown on Leslie. But it was interesting to see they did it. It saved money and time, like other shows re-using costumes and props from films and other TV shows.

I just watched Old Man Out and it’s interesting that there is some personality being written into the characters and peeks into the private lives of Dan and Cinnamon and Barney. Crystal was an interesting addition as an old girlfriend Dan had.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have not got to that episode yet with the Horta eggs! It is fun to see how the prop department shared items between the shows.

I’ve never seen that episode of Mannix, it was a pretty egregious re-use of that gown on Leslie. But it was interesting to see they did it. It saved money and time, like other shows re-using costumes and props from films and other TV shows.

I just watched Old Man Out and it’s interesting that there is some personality being written into the characters and peeks into the private lives of Dan and Cinnamon and Barney. Crystal was an interesting addition as an old girlfriend Dan had.
Well, at least the gown fit her without any alterations. Also, back then, nobody was watching Star Trek, so they could get away with it. :D

I gotta say, watching the first season, I love Dan Briggs. I really wish Steve Hill had remained with the series. No offense to Peter Graves, but I prefer Brigg's more dark and ruthless portrayal of team leader. It also probably has to do with the series being a little more action oriented in that first year than in later seasons.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The series is currently part of Amazon's Buy 2, get 3rd free promotion, price is $84.99

Also part of Target's Buy 2, get 3rd free promotion, same price.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m creeping along slowly as I watch episodes. Tonight was The Ransom, I always liked this episode, it was a fun episode that was an unofficial mission. One thing though, I guess in these early episodes, the Impossible Mission Force leader’s identity wasn’t so secret if a mobster would know Dan and that he has special capabilities to pull off the task he had Dan do. There is some unexplained reason the mobster knows Dan.

However, as has been discussed, a lot of Star Trek guest stars and extras here.
William Smithers as the mobster, or Captain Merrick.
Vic Tayback as one of his henchmen, later as Krako.
Jack Donner as another henchman later who plays Sub Commander Tal.
Mike Barrier as an intern, later as DeSalle.
Don Marshall the police officer, later as Boma.
and Eddie Paskey who was the extra with no dialogue.

The other evening I watched Wheels. This one only had two Star Trek alums, Percy Rodriguez and of course Mark Lenard.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
However, as has been discussed, a lot of Star Trek guest stars and extras here.
William Smithers as the mobster, or Captain Merrick.
Vic Tayback as one of his henchmen, later as Krako.
Jack Donner as another henchman later who plays Sub Commander Tal.
Mike Barrier as an intern, later as DeSalle.
Don Marshall the police officer, later as Boma.
and Eddie Paskey who was the extra with no dialogue.

The other evening I watched Wheels. This one only had two Star Trek alums, Percy Rodriguez and of course Mark Lenard.
Although there doesn't seem to be a connection with Star Trek/Desilu a large number of Star Trek actors have appeared on The Wild, Wild West, although it just may be a coincidence due to available actors in the mid-1960s.

Some of the WWW guest stars are Alfred Ryder, Mark Lenard, Tom Troupe, Hal Lynch, William Campbell, Percy Rodriguez, Ricardo Montalban, Madlyn Rhue, Ken Lynch, Jon Lormer, Paul Comi, Leslie Parrish and William Windom (same episode), Anthony Jochim (The Cage) William Marshall, Susan Oliver, Roy Jensen, Philip Pine, Celeste Yarnall, Barbara Luna, Marianna Hill, Brioni Farrell, Vic Perrin, John Abbott, John Harmon, John Hoyt, Paul Fix.

Also Antoinette Bower, Harry Townes, Jason Wingreen, Byron Morrow, Charles Macaulay, Theo Marcuse, Pilar Seurat, Elisha Cook Jr., Skip Homeier, Jay Robinson, Sharon Acker, Maggie Thrett, Sherry Jackson, Barry Atwater, Oliver McGowan, Vince Howard, John Crawford, Robert Phillips (The Cage), Marj Dusay, Sabrina Scharf, Bart LaRue, Arlene Martel, James Gregory, Georgia Schmidt (The Cage), William Wintersole, Malachi Throne, Sandra Smith.

And Bill Zuckert (as a sheriff), Joseph Ruskin, Ed Peck, Sarah Marshall, Anthony Caruso, Venita Wolf, Michael Dunn (of course), Jason Evers, Kathie Browne and Lee Bergere (same episode), Yvonne Craig, Alan Bergmann, Arthur Batanides, William Schallert, Jeff Corey, Johnny Haymer and even Ted Knight, who voiced a character on Star Trek Animated.

Actors who also appeared on Desilu/Paramount's Mission: Impossible include Hazel Court, Carroll O'Connor and model Ludmila.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks