What's new

Pre-Order Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ordered the new MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE Complete Series Blu-ray set from Deep Discount DVD. Anyone know how long they're taking these days to ship pre-orders? Should I expect it close to the release date (December 1)? Or are we looking at closer to Christmas?
Generally, most of my DD preorders have shipped on release day, and I would receive them by the end of the same week.

However, my CC was charged today for my order, so it may be sooner.

They also rarely (if ever) send out shipping notices. I just check the website daily to see if a tracking number has been attached to the order.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I got a notice my set had shipped today...and what I was charged actually dropped ten bucks. I originally paid $86...it says my credit card was charged $76. Wow. This is shaping up to be a great deal. Seven HD seasons from CBS for barely over ten bucks a set. Can't wait for it to get here.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Everybody got new headshots in Season 3 and Season 5 (except for Greg Morris for some reason).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My copy arrived today. Via Amazon. I know I paid more then going to other sites, but that’s ok. It’s a nice little box, I’ll leave it sealed for now in case there’s any fragments of Covid on it.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
My copy arrived today. Via Amazon. I know I paid more then going to other sites, but that’s ok. It’s a nice little box, I’ll leave it sealed for now in case there’s any fragments of Covid on it.
I can't wait to hear your impressions. Mine isn't scheduled to arrive until the 9th.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to hear your impressions. Mine isn't scheduled to arrive until the 9th.

I opened the box today. There’s an inner box with each season stacked in it. Each season’s discs are in a fold out with each disc in a holder. It’s a nice way to do it as the discs come out easily. But some may dislike the flimsy nature of the cardboard packaging. I’ll likely be converting the discs to MKV files at some point so I won’t watching the discs much. Or maybe someday I’ll get the blu ray cases to store them in.

If I have time, I’ll try to play the pilot tonight.

266DFF8E-A75B-4242-B546-A3D4CFC23603.jpeg 4D64A076-872A-4D7C-901C-4EB9DC213B61.jpeg B72224AE-67B6-4BC0-BBCF-355C8869B270.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the pilot episode tonight. I thought it looked great. I see there is an official review thread already. So I’m sure that review will cover all the technical stuff.

I did not pull out the DVDs to compare, from what I saw my initial impression was wow the detail jumps out at you, the fabrics in the clothes and hair, etc. But if I compare M:I to Star Trek, this series sister show, the color was not as vibrant. I don’t blame that on the mastering of these discs, I think it was just a difference in the way each series was shot and the art direction. Star Trek is just more vibrant by design.

On the sound, there was no option for mono audio, only 5.1 DTS Master Audio. The only surround I heard was during the chase sequence when the guns were firing at the check point. Otherwise, audio was clear and sounded fine.

I’m glad I got this set, though I’m not as big a fan of it as Star Trek, it is still a very memorable series with some really good episodes. The first three seasons were the ones I remember best, and the main cast members including Phelps were the ones that set the tone of the series. I’d totally forgotten that Robert Justman was the associate producer. He was busy!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
For what it's worth, I just read through the review that the Beaver put up with a lot of screen caps comparing the DVD with the Blu-ray. At this point, I've still not read a single thing that tells me I HAVE to have the Blu-ray. As an early supporter of the seven individual seasons on DVD - and for a series that I've always loved and enjoyed, I just can't yet pull the trigger on the Blus. On a fictitious balance sheet, there's not enough to tip the scale to the "buy" side.

Positives:
Blu's look great

Negatives:
No mono sound option
No additional extras
Packaging looks pretty bad compared to solid DVD cases
Hi-res episodes already available to me anytime on CBS All Access
DVDs look really good up-scaled on my TVs
Another ~ $100 would be spent with more limited retirement funds

I'm afraid I have to sit this one out for now. Maybe someday when the full set is available in a deal-of-the-day bargain - but not now.

Nonetheless, I'm happy to read all reviews of the new set.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Why did CBS cheap out on the packaging on the Blus, while giving their all for the DVDs?

My guess...it is their way of letting us know that if we want cheap complete series on blu-ray (after the failure of TAGS and ILL), it will be on the cheap all the way around. Remember, most of the these series were originally $30+ a season on DVD, only being marked down to $10 or so many years later. This release is less than half of what the original DVD's sold for. If this is what it takes for future releases, I'm in. I can replace packaging. but I can't create my own HD masters.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I happened on a late-night episode of MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE on MeTV over the past weekend. It looked like an early episode with Martin Landau in it and Nehemiah Persoff as the baddie in this one. So looking the episode up online, I found that it was called "Odds On Evil" and was the seventh episode of the first season.

Looking for something to watch this afternoon, I dug out my DVDs and put on the episode. The transfer of this onto DVD was a magnificent effort on CBS/Paramount's part. I also had a choice to watch the "Hi-Def" version on Paramount+, but opted for the DVD since that gave me the option to use the original mono soundtrack.

After the episode concluded, I switched over to the Paramount+ version and could see a slight upgrade in the clarity of some minor picture details. The difference though is really negligible, at least on my TV setups. My largest is 60" and the difference there was the most noticeable. But then again, the stream from Paramount+ had its share of negatives with occasional banding in large areas. And I could only listen to the fake stereo soundtrack, but it really only affected the music in this episode. I still find that fake stereo attempt annoying.

Oh, and I see that Amazon now has this set for $67.49. I'm still not sold on upgrading from the DVDs.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been watching some of these lately on blu-ray. I never had the DVDs, but the blu-rays look terrific.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Why did CBS cheap out on the packaging on the Blus, while giving their all for the DVDs?
I don't think it's cheap at all. The DVDs were in standard slipcases with the usual inserts and then bundled in Epic Packs for the rereleases. This was something more of a prestige release with each season getting its own box and artwork. When you use paper slipcases, one never wins. Either the discs are held in too tightly (Lost in Space) or they go sailing across the room to behead your cat when you open them (Mission Impossible). I don't mind the box at all, it has shelf appeal. I just wish the art on the outside was more indicative of the series within.

The collectable boxes CPS/Paramount always put out were generally odd sized and made to catch the eye rather than be shelf friendly. The Wild Wild West, Hawaii Five-O, The Fugitive Most Wanted Collection, Star Trek 50th Anniversary, etc. They are all meant to be huge, eye-catching collections. I prefer these over the usal Epic Packs we get for the cheaper releases.

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I don't think it's cheap at all. The DVDs were in standard slipcases with the usual inserts and then bundled in Epic Packs for the rereleases. This was something more of a prestige release with each season getting its own box and artwork. When you use paper slipcases, one never wins. Either the discs are held in too tightly (Lost in Space) or they go sailing across the room to behead your cat when you open them (Mission Impossible). I don't mind the box at all, it has shelf appeal. I just wish the art on the outside was more indicative of the series within.

The collectable boxes CPS/Paramount always put out were generally odd sized and made to catch the eye rather than be shelf friendly. The Wild Wild West, Hawaii Five-O, The Fugitive Most Wanted Collection, Star Trek 50th Anniversary, etc. They are all meant to be huge, eye-catching collections. I prefer these over the usal Epic Packs we get for the cheaper releases.
I’ve seen this box set available online for under $70. It is an astounding value given the audio and video quality and 3 language tracks and 3 subtitle tracks. I would have liked audio commentary tracks for some or all of the episodes, and maybe some video featurettes, but overall it is an amazing release and an amazing value.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I’ve seen this box set available online for under $70. It is an astounding value given the audio and video quality and 3 language tracks and 3 subtitle tracks. I would have liked audio commentary tracks for some or all of the episodes, and maybe some video featurettes, but overall it is an amazing release and an amazing value.

I would agree-- if a Blu release of a television series has no other bonuses outside of other languages and other subtitles, I think personally that such would enhance the release in itself (because you get to see and hear the lines in those other languages).

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
If you getting the rest of the series on DVD would cause CBS to release Hawaii Five 0 on blu ray, I'd buy them for you myself! :lol:
I'd buy him two sets. I'm on the fence about MI, but would buy Hawaii Five-O blu ray on day 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks