What's new

Pre-Order Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
The Blu-Ray standard is a 16x9 image. To display 4x3 content, there would need to be some blockage of the image. Now conceivably, the blockage could be side bars of another color (Disney used to do this). Or the image could be unbalanced - content just on one side, with a bar on the other. But pretty much every 4x3 blu-ray has had two side black bars.

I'm not aware of any professionally produced Blu-Rays that stretched 4x3 content to 16x9.
Thank you for this.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just got a note from CBS/Paramount that the release of this set is being delayed until December 1. Adjust your expectations accordingly. :oops:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The Blu-Ray standard is a 16x9 image. To display 4x3 content, there would need to be some blockage of the image. Now conceivably, the blockage could be side bars of another color (Disney used to do this). Or the image could be unbalanced - content just on one side, with a bar on the other. But pretty much every 4x3 blu-ray has had two side black bars.

And the fears that made Disney do that (and studios literally wonder whether they even should remaster old 4:3 movies ever again) was over Plasma being the top-selling HDTV in the mid-00's, which had bad burn-in problems with long static images like black-bar borders.

Plasma's now pretty much gone out with the 00's, with LCD and OLED, and studios have no problem whatsoever remastering TV and pre-widescreen movies as they "should be".

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm not aware of any professionally produced Blu-Rays that stretched 4x3 content to 16x9.

But there are examples of 4:3 content ZOOMED to 16:9 as both Blu-rays and DVDs

FRIENDS
LOST IN SPACE
SEINFELD

I think the above poster was possibly more concerned about that, rather than the existence of black bars.

On MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE the TV series, the director of photography often utilized the full 4:3 frame for visual information to assist viewers in understanding what was going on. There's a real danger in chopping off top, bottom, or both that some of that important information would be lost.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

FRIENDS
LOST IN SPACE
SEINFELD

I think the above poster was possibly more concerned about that, rather than the existence of black bars.

On MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE the TV series, the director of photography often utilized the full 4:3 frame for visual information to assist viewers in understanding what was going on. There's a real danger in chopping off top, bottom, or both that some of that important information would be lost.

Friends didn't suffer from tilt and scan, they just opened up the sides. Someone had the foresight to protect Friends for Widescreen from the beginning, IIRC.

Seinfeld's DVDs are the correct 1.33:1, syndication is cropped and zoomed, there are no Blus.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

FRIENDS
LOST IN SPACE
SEINFELD

LOST IN SPACE is also the proper 4:3 on blu-ray. Not sure how it streams, but the blu-rays are 4:3.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
OK guys. I'm wrong. Just trying to give some examples of 4:3 shows that have ended up in 16:9, mostly through sone sort of reframing. My point is that zooming MI is not a good idea.

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I've had the Mission Impossible preordered from Deep Discount for over a month now. I don't mind a delay to Dec 1, but I really wish that someone would release a detailed list of the special features for the box set, including any audio commentary tracks, documentaries and interviews.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
LOST IN SPACE is also the proper 4:3 on blu-ray. Not sure how it streams, but the blu-rays are 4:3.
LiS Original Recipe had a Widescreen DVD release (complete series for $19.9X at Wal*Mart) Ironically the Wal*Mart DVD set included a code for LiS 1st season on VUDU IN 4:3 !
1605121986194.png

I checked and in-store the LiS Widescreen DVD set is $29.9X...
The Casting Director for LiS and early seasons of Mission Impossible Original Recipe was the same person ...

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've had the Mission Impossible preordered from Deep Discount for over a month now. I don't mind a delay to Dec 1, but I really wish that someone would release a detailed list of the special features for the box set, including any audio commentary tracks, documentaries and interviews.

I got the set yesterday and am going to have to "sample" it for my review, as I don't have 143 hours to devote! :D

I'll have to check out each disc to be sure, but I don't think there are any bonus features here.

I'll update if I'm wrong, but there's no mention of any extras in the press release or the packaging, and on the handful of discs I've inspected so far, there aren't any features...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got the set yesterday and am going to have to "sample" it for my review, as I don't have 143 hours to devote! :D

I'll have to check out each disc to be sure, but I don't think there are any bonus features here.

I'll update if I'm wrong, but there's no mention of any extras in the press release or the packaging, and on the handful of discs I've inspected so far, there aren't any features...
Same reaction here. No features that I've been able to discern. No mention in the press release or on the set box.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Someone had the foresight to protect Friends for Widescreen from the beginning, IIRC.

Not quite. The transmitted episodes are only in HD on Blu-ray. They can't / won't release the extended episodes in HD on Blu-ray that were released on DVD.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
So basically, the Blu is as vanilla as the DVDs?

Works for me. When CBS/Paramount got into all special features for ILL and TAGS they also escalated the price to beyond what most were willing to pay, and they failed miserably. This set is very reasonably priced and the complete series to boot. I'm hoping that this is a sign that they are going back through their library of HD masters with a new approach of just releasing full series blu's of what they already have in affordable sets. If this one sells well, who knows what we may get next. I'd rather have vanilla blu's with no extras then no blu's at all.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Not quite. The transmitted episodes are only in HD on Blu-ray. They can't / won't release the extended episodes in HD on Blu-ray that were released on DVD.
That doesn't make his post any less true. Just because they won't re-edit the episodes doesn't mean they weren't protected for Widescreen.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Now that there is a Mission: Impossible, I’m curious now if there will be a blu ray release of the original Hawaii Five-O. I’ve got a few more seasons to collect of the original series on DVD to compete the series. I’m afraid if I do, they will announce the original Hawaii Five-O next year. :)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Now that there is a Mission: Impossible, I’m curious now if there will be a blu ray release of the original Hawaii Five-O. I’ve got a few more seasons to collect of the original series on DVD to compete the series. I’m afraid if I do, they will announce the original Hawaii Five-O next year. :)
If you getting the rest of the series on DVD would cause CBS to release Hawaii Five 0 on blu ray, I'd buy them for you myself! :lol:

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Ordered the new MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE Complete Series Blu-ray set from Deep Discount DVD. Anyone know how long they're taking these days to ship pre-orders? Should I expect it close to the release date (December 1)? Or are we looking at closer to Christmas?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
As I've watched a few MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE episodes lately through CBS All Access, I happened to finally notice - after all these years, that the color of the opening cast credits had changed colors. So I thought I'd track down just what was going on. Here are the opening credits for the lead actor, Steven Hill for S1, Peter Graves for all the rest.

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

S4.jpg

S5.jpg

S6.jpg

S7.jpg

As you can see, the credit was white for S1, blue for S2, and yellow for all of the remainder of the seasons. Graves picture was the same for S3 and S4, changed for S5, another new one for S6 that stayed for S7.

Just some MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE minutiae to ponder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks