Wiseguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Isn't there a two-part episode that runs only about 46 minutes for each part in both the VHS and DVD releases?
The third season's "The Contenders" each part at about 45:30 compared to about 50:30 for the other episodes.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
The third season's "The Contenders" each part at about 45:30 compared to about 50:30 for the other episodes.
Thanks. That's the one I thought it was, but I didn't want to say for sure without checking my DVD copy. How can we get word to CBS to correct those two episodes? I did read a post once that said there was some kind of news program or special that forced CBS to cut those episodes when they originally aired--I can see that happening for one night but not two weeks in a row.

Wiseguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Thanks. That's the one I thought it was, but I didn't want to say for sure without checking my DVD copy. How can we get word to CBS to correct those two episodes? I did read a post once that said there was some kind of news program or special that forced CBS to cut those episodes when they originally aired--I can see that happening for one night but not two weeks in a row.
I saw that post too, but I immediately dismissed it. Even if it did happen, it wouldn't have affected future releases. And the episode is professionally edited [really, if you didn't check the DVD times it would be hard to tell it was edited.] And if there were time enough to edit the episode then there would have been time to pre-empt the episode for that night to begin with.

The real reason is probably along the lines of "we couldn't find the originals so we released the best version we had, the edited-for-reruns version." Perhaps both parts were stored together so if they couldn't find one part, the other was lost as well.

Reactions: bmasters9

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I have nothing concrete on the time of "The Contenders", but I believe that the DVD episode times are correct and are the full program. Many times in those days, a two-parter would have been followed by a preview of the second part, which would have eaten up some time. Perhaps that preview is missing.

As for the second part, it could have been that for the first airing, the full and complete opening sequence with Jim and the tape was aired, but was later edited for a repeat broadcast.

All theories - no meat.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Also, it was October in Presidential election year. Back in those days, there was a CBS Sunday Night News that ran for 15 minutes at 11:OO ET. Perhaps they expanded it to twenty minutes during October?

Real Name
Ian K McLachlan
I hope that this boxset is released in the UK. unlike some US shows all the seasons of Mission Impossible have been released on DVD.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Good morning Mr. Briggs..or is it Mr. Phelps today?
You're looking at a picture of Kim Jong un, the leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, otherwise known as North Korea.
Kim Jong un is the latest in a family dynasty that has ruled this nation with an iron fist, depriving the citizens of basic human rights such as food, shelter, and the right to protest peacefully; while all the while engorging himself with the trimmings that come with being a despot.
Recently, Jong un has promised the West that he will dismantle his country's nuclear program in return for concessions from the US guaranteeing his safety. In fact, this dictator has actually furthered his country's nuclear capabilities while pretending to bargain in good faith.
His unpredictable actions could jeopardize the balance of power in the region, indeed threatening the world's safety.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to discredit Kim Jong un in the eyes of his own people, so that he and any successor will never be able to govern in such a despicable manner.
As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.
Please dispose of this recording in the usual manner.

Good luck, Dan..er, I mean, Jim.
Obviously we'll need a gypsy costume, a hologram projector and a working Space Shuttle.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
...and don't forget Martin Landau as Rollin Hand in another one of his unforgettable make up jobs as my avatar will attest to.

MDS

Agent
Real Name
Michael Shayne
Isn't there a two-part episode that runs only about 46 minutes for each part in both the VHS and DVD releases?
I believe so and there part episode called The Falcon with an abundance of guest stars, Noel Harrison, Lee Merriweather, Diane Baker, John Vernon, and Logan Ramsey. The story collectively runs 2hrs and 15 minutes.

MDS

Agent
Real Name
Michael Shayne
I think the first 4 seasons were the best and seasons 5-7 basically fought crime in the US. The stories became less interesting and less believable were also shot mostly in and around Paramount studies. The infamous episode with William Shatner where they built a city and populated with extras was for me jumping the shark story.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have the MI dvd's and thought they looked great, much better than what I originally viewed back in the day on our family's 21 inch Zenith. If reviews confirm this set is a real improvement over the dvd's, I will very likely buy.

Still, this seems to me a somewhat odd choice for a CBS complete series set on bluray. I hope this sells well and we see more CBS compete series bluray sets in the future.

Reactions: Osato and bmasters9

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els