What's new

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Cannot wait! This series' last two films carry that spy adventure feeling that used to be in the James Bond films, imo!!!

Now if they can capture the spy adventure feeling gotten from the Mission Impossible TV show, then we might have Mission Impossible. ;)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It's funny that they actually say in the trailer "How many times has this guy been disavowed." so they appear quite aware of the idea that he does not go on "missions" they continue to have him going rouge. I'm guessing that's a wink at the fans that keep complaining about this...:lol:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Finally today, back to 4K for a moment: Our retail and industry sources are confirming something we’ve already reported here on The Bits in recent weeks, which is that Paramount will be releasing all of the Mission: Impossible films on 4K Ultra HD this summer, in anticipation of the theatrical release of Mission: Impossible – Fallout in July. Again, watch for official announcements in the weeks ahead.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/032018-1500

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This seems silly. Lorne Balfe is a former protege of Hans Zimmer and comes with a high pedigree.

There are a multitude of reasons why Joe Kraemer might not be returning to score this film, including the possibility that Kraemer was unavailable or declined the assignment. Kraemer isn't exactly a household name, it's not as if they lost John Williams.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This seems silly. Lorne Balfe is a former protege of Hans Zimmer and comes with a high pedigree.

There are a multitude of reasons why Joe Kraemer might not be returning to score this film, including the possibility that Kraemer was unavailable or declined the assignment. Kraemer isn't exactly a household name, it's not as if they lost John Williams.

Yeah it’s a non story

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It states right in the story that Kraemer tweeted that he was never asked to return. Why is this a non-story when many fans felt it was disrespectful to replace Kraemer as the composer? Many fans thought that he did an excellent job on the MI:Rogue Nation soundtrack. And, frankly, who cares if Balfe is a former protege of Hans Zimmer or his supposed pedigree?

The fact is that they never even offered the job to Kraemer, so he never had an opportunity to turn it down. Replacing a composer without even making an offer sends a signal that he or she did a lousy job, especially on a successful film. However, I guess the only time something like this would become news is if composer John Williams (who is only known to film and Star Wars fans) was replaced on a major STAR WARS release. I mean, John Williams is hardly a household name to the average person any more than Joe Kraemer is.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Given how many different composers this series has had, I'm not sure why it should be assumed that the composer from the last film would return, when that's generally not the case with MI films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure how I avoided seeing the full trailer until today if it's been out since February. But that looks really, really fun. Because I loved the last couple, I wasn't really needing to be sold on this -- but -- sold.

I'm also glad they are bringing back Rebecca Ferguson and Alec Baldwin from the last one, which will provide more continuity than usual between these movies.

I'm not sure why it should be assumed that the composer from the last film would return

Maybe some people expected it because the director from the last film is returning, which has not happened before, and it would make sense if he wanted to surround himself by the same people. However, I don't see this as a big deal. Would it have been nice to offer it to the composer from the last film? Sure. But the most distinctive theme music is the one from the TV show anyway, so it's not like any single composer from the previous films stands out too much. I thought the scores for all of the films have been good enough while I'm watching them, but I've never felt compelled to seek out a soundtrack for any of them or revisit particular cues. YMMV on this of course.

John Williams is hardly a household name to the average person any more than Joe Kraemer is.

John Williams may not be a household name, but his themes are iconic. The iconic piece of music from Mission: Impossible is the TV series theme, which will continue to be there no matter who is doing the rest of the score.

Before reading this thread, I could not have told you who composed the score for Rogue Nation (although I did see his credit when I saw the film.) So I doubt the overwhelming majority of people seeing this film will know or care about such a change, whereas if Williams were to skip Episode IX, that would make noise because he is associated with the franchise (although he dd skip Rogue One altogether and is only writing a theme for Solo.)

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
However, I guess the only time something like this would become news is if composer John Williams (who is only known to film and Star Wars fans) was replaced on a major STAR WARS release. I mean, John Williams is hardly a household name to the average person any more than Joe Kraemer is.

...What?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
First, John Williams was never replaced on a SW film, he was never going to compose Solo but, did write a theme when asked. Plus, non movie fans and non SW fans can hum his music to many things like Jaws, E.T., Superman, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park and, of course, Star Wars. No other composer will have their music remembered as much as Williams’, not in our lifetime.

Second, I think it is a shame that Kraemer wasn’t asked to return. IMO, he wrote the best MI movie score to date. I’m not a huge modern day Zimmer fan so, a protege of his does not excite me like Kraemer returning would have.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I said it in another thread but the entire ad campaign for this movie should just show clips of the stunts and have the words "That's really Tom Cruise doing the stunts! THIS SHIT IS CRAZY!" flash repeatedly on the screen.
I remember a trailer for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where they didn't show a traditional trailer, they showed behind the scenes in a theatrical trailer. They should do exactly the same for this.

I remember this was so magical to me. Has anything like this done before?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks