What's new

Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning - Part One (2023) (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I think MI8 is the last in the series. This should be the one to include Cruise on a mission to the ISS. I still think he should work with Chris Nolan, combine their technical skills (and egos) to make a huge blockbuster.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Cannot wait!!

It looks like you're going to have to since Paramount moved the release date again.

Top Gun: Maverick is now scheduled on the November 19, 2021 date M:I 7 previously had. To accommodate that, M:I 7 is going to May 27, 2022. This also causes a delay for M:I 8 which gets bumped from November 4, 2022 to a new date of July 7, 2023.

I have updated the year in the thread title and the release date in the first post accordingly.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I miss when there was a new filmmaker with each new movie. The McQuarrie ones feel like, somewhat ironically given the franchise's origins, episodes in a TV show. There's a sameness to them.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't they have enough money to vaccinate all of the crew? It's like 10-20$ per shot.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm sure with their high level contacts they can buy it all in the US and ship it. How big is the crew? 3000-4000 people max.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

What I wonder about is Cruise is a Scientologist and they are typically totally against medicine and vaccines and generally the entire medical establishment. I doubt he could travel, although he owns his own planes so I could be very wrong there, without a vaccination and be admitted into other countries.

His outburst in that recording seems to indicate he BELIEVES something is happening but he only rails about getting shut down. Not really saying anything about why they could get shut down nor how serious the pandemic was. Plus I am not sure what he is yelling about firing people for. I think it has to do with mask wearing but he never mentions masks in his tirade.

I assume Cruise was vaccinated but isn't this screaming session prior to the release of the vaccines?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mission: Impossible 7 has been delayed again to September 30, 2022 so that Top Gun: Maverick can take its previous date of May 27, 2022. I have updated the first post accordingly.

As of right now, Paramount still has the eighth film dated for July 7, 2023.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mission: Impossible 7 has been delayed again to September 30, 2022 so that Top Gun: Maverick can take its previous date of May 27, 2022. I have updated the first post accordingly.

As of right now, Paramount still has the eighth film dated for July 7, 2023.
I would have left M7 and moved TG to Sept. Now you have an extra long wait between M:I films, and create a very short period between the next two films if you leave M8 in July 2023. We've been waiting 35 years for the TG sequel. What's another few months by pushing it to Sept?

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
I love Top Gun. My wife is a pilot. She comes from an aviation family. We have a Cessna. Top Gun is one of my wife's favorite films. Even with all of that I'm in total agreement!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would have left M7 and moved TG to Sept. Now you have an extra long wait between M:I films, and create a very short period between the next two films if you leave M8 in July 2023.
I'm inclined to agree but I guess you can make an argument that they'll be back-to-back annual releases (a la the two latest Avengers or The Lord Of The Rings movies). Yes, it's ten months and not a year like those examples but let's face it, the eighth one will end up getting moved anyway. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The plan was always for Mission: Impossible 7 and 8 to be in consecutive years. This doesn't really change that.

Top Gun is the priority here because it has been waiting for release longer. Also, the original Top Gun was a big hit summer movie. This one was originally supposed to come out in summer 2019 and then got delayed to 2020 because (I think) they needed more time to finish it. Since then, it has been delayed more times than I can remember. At one point, it was supposed to debut last summer opposite In the Heights, which itself was delayed by a year. In the Heights came out on Blu-ray this week, and we won't see Top Gun for another eight months, at least.

The Mission: Impossible series has played successfully on various dates on the calendar, bouncing around various summer dates, and the fourth one was a Christmastime launch. Paramount probably thinks they will be able to open M:I successfully in any part of the year which is why they're going with the end of September for that. I'm not saying that a fall launch for Top Gun wouldn't work, but it feels like a big summer movie to me. I'm not really sure why.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Looks like September 2022 for part 7.

July 2023 is listed for part 8!!

Wow!

I’ve really enjoyed these last few films in the series and look forward to the new ones!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
More from Deadline:

Paramount said:
“After thoughtful consideration, Paramount Pictures and Skydance have decided to postpone the release dates for Mission: Impossible 7 & 8 in response to delays due to the ongoing pandemic. “The new release dates will be July 14, 2023, and June 28, 2024, respectively. We look forward to providing moviegoers with an unparalleled theatrical experience.”

I have updated the release date in the first post accordingly.

Paramount hasn't said this, but I'm guessing that this has more to do with #8 than #7. We know that #7 has already wrapped filming, but they've still got #8 to go. If they are running into delays on #8, it makes sense to push #7 back too. It seems clear to me that this is going to be a larger story taking place across the two films, and I think they want to make sure there isn't more than a year's gap between the two. Of course, this is only speculation on my part. But that's what this feels like to me.

If there is a positive here, it is that this gives Mission: Impossible 7 more distance from Top Gun: Maverick so Cruise won't be opening two big action films in the span of a few months.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks