What's new

Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning - Part One (2023)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning - Part One

Genre: Action

Director: Christopher McQuarrie

Cast: Tom Cruise, Hayley Atwell, Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg, Rebecca Ferguson, Vanessa Kirby, Pom Klementieff, Shea Whigham, Esai Morales

Release: 2023-07-12

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought it was time to create a new thread for the next Mission: Impossible movie rather than continuing to bump the one for Fallout.

Christopher McQuarrie, who is directing the next two films back-to-back, confirmed on Instagram that Nicholas Hoult is joining the cast.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/nicholas-hoult-mission-impossible-tom-cruise-1203404084/

This gives Hoult a big blockbuster for next summer after he missed out on the role of Batman, which ultimately went to Robert Pattinson.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I thought it was time to create a new thread for the next Mission: Impossible movie rather than continuing to bump the one for Fallout.

Christopher McQuarrie, who is directing the next two films back-to-back, confirmed on Instagram that Nicholas Hoult is joining the cast.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/nicholas-hoult-mission-impossible-tom-cruise-1203404084/

This gives Hoult a big blockbuster for next summer after he missed out on the role of Batman, which ultimately went to Robert Pattinson.

cant wait for this one!! Thanks for starting a thread!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The coronavirus is of course preventing shooting on the next Mission: Impossible films from going forward as planned this summer. So, unsurprisingly, Paramount has made the inevitable release date changes.

#7 will now open on the November 19, 2021 (instead of July 23.) That in turn pushes #8 to November 4, 2022 (instead of August 5.)

The delay for #8 puts it on the same date Warner Bros. just claimed for Shazam! 2.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I miss when Cruise brought in a different director with each movie. It made each one feel distinctive and like an event. McQuarrie's movies are solid, but they feel like episodes in a very high budget television series.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Nicholas Hoult, who was playing the villain, has exited the production due to a scheduling conflict resulting from the production delay. Esai Morales will replace him when production resumes after the coronavirus shutdown.

Variety said:
Hoult, whose exact role in the film was unknown, had to depart due to scheduling concerns. “Mission: Impossible” closed down production in March due to the coronavirus pandemic. Though it’s unclear when filming will be able to resume, the delay will put Hoult in conflict with a prior obligation, shooting Hulu’s second season of “The Great.” This kind of overlap is likely to affect more productions as Hollywood waits to reopen.

More at the link: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mission-impossible-7-esai-morales-nicholas-hoult-1234613115/

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Your mission Mr. Hunt is to open a big blockbuster franchise film after the worst pandemic the world has faced in over a century. Should the filmgoing public refrain from seeing MI7 due to behavioral changes wrought by COVID-19 the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck, Ethan.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What's interesting to me is that Hoult and Morales are very different types of actors, so Christopher McQuarrie must be reconciling the part for him. It's not a case of replacing Hoult with another actor who will work in the same style.

A friend of mine mentioned this would be like starting with Tom Holland and replacing him with Tom Hanks.

Anyway, I edited the first post to add Morales to the cast list.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Can’t wait for more mission impossible films!

I’m there when they open!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Man, it's been forever since I saw Esai Morales in a major film.

Out of curiosity, I looked over his filmography. Looks like he's done mainly TV work over the years.

Surprisingly few "major films" on his resume - surprising, really, as I figured he'd have been in a decent number of notable flicks.

I'm actually not sure he's had a big role in a big movie since 1987! :oops:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I miss when Cruise brought in a different director with each movie. It made each one feel distinctive and like an event. McQuarrie's movies are solid, but they feel like episodes in a very high budget television series.

I didn't much care for the last one, having enjoyed Ghost and Rogue. Although Chris Nolan likes his own projects, him and Cruise would make a great team.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The first assistant director, Tommy Gormley, has indicated that plans are being made to restart production on M:I in September. That would seem especially difficult in the case of a great big globe-trotting action movie, but we'll see what happens.

Tommy Gormley said:
“We hope to restart in September, we hope to visit all the countries we planned to and look to do a big chunk of it back in the UK on the backlot and in the studio, so September through to end April/May is our targets. We are convinced we can do this.”

More at the link:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Variety has more on this from Simon Pegg. Excerpts:

Actor Simon Pegg, who plays Benji Dunn in the franchise, tells Variety that a September restart is “the plan” for the film. “That will begin with the outdoor stuff,” says Pegg, “That feels fairly doable, and obviously there will be precautions put in place.”

However, asked about the logistics of resuming production on the action film, Pegg said, “People that are involved in any close proximity stuff, it will have to be determined that they’re safe to do that. I don’t know what the testing situation is, how that works, or whether they’ll be able to be tested regularly.”

More at the link:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The seventh film is near completion. However, Mission: Impossible 8 will no longer shoot back-to-back with it. Instead, they are taking a break so that Tom Cruise will be able to promote the theatrical release of Top Gun.

Deadline said:
Sources said this is simply down to the shifting release calendar. Star Tom Cruise will now be needed on promotional duties by the studio for Top Gun: Maverick ahead of that film’s planned release on July 2, and will be out of action for a period. Once that film has rolled out – hopefully to packed cinemas in a post-Covid world – production on MI: 8 can begin, meaning the gap shouldn’t be too impactful.

This is funny to me because it suggests that Paramount still intends to release Top Gun in June. If that release date holds, they won't be doing it "to packed cinemas in a post-COVID world."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is funny to me because it suggests that Paramount still intends to release Top Gun in June. If that release date holds, they won't be doing it "to packed cinemas in a post-COVID world."
Probably depends on location. In China, Detective Chinatown 3 opened to nearly $400 million last weekend.

(from Hollywood Reporter) What a difference a year makes. After a 12-month postponement caused by the coronavirus pandemic, Wanda Pictures' much anticipated comedy tentpole Detective Chinatown 3 finally opened in China Friday for the first day of the week-long Lunar New Year holiday. The film debuted with a record-setting haul of $160 million and finished the weekend with an astonishing $393 million three-day total, according to early estimates from ticketing app Maoyan.

If there was any doubt, China's theatrical box office is back to booming.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Probably depends on location.

You are right, of course. But Paramount isn't going to want a film that is a hit in China and gets scraps from the United States and other parts of the world. If they want Top Gun to be a billion dollar film, it's going to have to work everywhere. I don't see that happening in the immediate future.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks