1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

'Mission: Impossible 3' On A Mission Again

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Edwin Pereyra, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

With shooting scheduled to begin next month, M:I3 losses its current director, Joe Carnahan, after David Fincher bowed out earlier, putting Tom Cruise on a mission to find a replacement fast and quick.

I say bring back Brian DePalma who made the original such a pleasure to watch. After all, both of their creative differences were worked out and the film still turned out to be good.

~Edwin

2. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I'm hoping David Fincher comes back on board, besides, Cruise has been pretty consistent about wanting a different director's take on the franchise each time out. He believes that this will keep the series fresh if it has a different director for each entry.

3. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

I was excited about Carnahan's entry. He was a great choice, and I hope he gets another big budget break soon. Cruise has been intelligent in his choices for this series so far, but it certainly will be Mission: Difficult to find a director worth having in a month.

4. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

Hrm. Maybe Cruise can get Spielberg to squeeze this into his schedule. [​IMG]

5. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

Ah hell, I will direct it. My schedules clean.

6. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Does Fincher even have anything in active development now? I'd love to see him take on a little strait up action.

Be interesting to see who they can come up with in a month that will be Cruise approved. I'm disappointed that Carnahan is leaving.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Why doesn't Cruise just direct it himself? He's all but declared it his vanity franchise anyway.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Agreed. MI:2 goes down on my list of one of the worst films of all time. As long as Woo does not go near this, it should be a decent film.

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    That's funny, I thought the original sucked pretty hard too. Let's get rid of the whole team conveniently in the first 30 minutes so that it's only Tom in every scene. [​IMG] A stylish piece of crap if you ask me. And let's not talk about MI:2...yikes. But I don't blame Woo for that, he's a director for hire and he didn't have much of a storyline to work with in that one. Actually Woo hasn't been given a good script since he stepped across the Pacific into Hollywood a few years ago. Same with Chow Yun Fat, (Crouching Tiger doesn't count, that's not an American film), and the same with Jackie Chan. I don't care who they get to direct, MI:3 will be utter trash regardless as long as Crooze and Paula Wagner are involved.

-Dennis

10. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I say get Oliver Stone back on the project. I think he was originaly going to do MI:2. I can't even imagine what it would be like if that happened!

11. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    With only a month until shooting begins, go with a TV director easy for Cruise to boss around. That's the practical side of me coming out.

12. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

Fincher's handed over directing on his Dogtown/skating movie, but is still producing (as we speak, I believe), so it appears he's out. Not to mention the likely (ie. real) reasons Carnahan and Fincher parted from the project...they would have wanted something dark and gritty, something few studios have the guts to allow (ie. Nolan and Batman). Maybe Cruise foresees Collateral as a potential failure and is looking for a guaranteed $100m BO receipt in Mission Impossible 3

13. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

As a film, I would say the original Mission Impossible is blood brilliant. As a Mission Impossible film, it is very disappointing - thwe very identity of the bad guy is a dagger to the heart of the show.
    But it's still a lot of fun to watch.

14. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I'd say the two are different beasts. Cruise will do a project where he stretches a bit (Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, playing the bad guy in Collateral) and I don't think the expectation is the same. Quite frankly I'm shocked that people expect $100 million for Collateral- Mann's never been a big commercial filmmaker and while I'm sure Collateral will have some stellar action I don't think its really made with a blockbuster in mind. It will likely get a big opening just based on Cruise's presence but I expect big drops no matter the critical reaction.

On the other hand, less than $100 million (or $150 million for theat matter) for MI:3 would most certainly be a disappointment. This is Cruise in his most audience pleasing form and the expectations are completely different.

15. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I vote for Robert Rodiguez or Wolfgang Petersen,and get Johnny Depp as the villain.
    2 names I don't wanna see are: Michael Bay,and Renny Harlin.

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I always wanted to like these movies but the truth is the movies have very little to do with the TV show or it's premise and thats why I didnt like either. The first one was horrible and the second one I went to only because of the good reviews but people, including myself, were laughing at parts they weren't suppose to.
    How about making a movie about a group of spies who doop a bad guy instead of just one guy with a few others barely backign the main character up in other words a star vehichle for Cruise throwing the original premise away.

17. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Matthew: It should have never been titled "Mission Impossible" then... And why was he STILL on his own in MI:2?? Where was the "team"? You'd think all of those people would be replaced, but all we got was Ving Rhames, who is admittedly very cool, but no replacement for a team of professionals working together to carry out impossible missions. I will say this, at least the first film STARTED like a Mission Impossible film, the second never feels like anything more than Tom Cruise in a very mediocre John Woo film.

Mikel: Exactly.

-Dennis

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Actually, looking back at the first, it wasn't that bad (except the way over the top ending.) Sure, Cruise is the center of attention, but at least we did get some hand waving at the team concept. (I didn't have a problem with the choice of bad guy either.)

2, on the other hand, was pretty bad. Basically becomes James Bond-lite, with even more stupid action scenes.

To me, it doesn't matter who directs this, this is still a vanity project for Tom Cruise, and I wouldn't expect a real M:I film as long as he's involved.

Jason

19. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

bring on Spielburg

20. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Spielberg, right. The last thing we need in MI:3 is kids coming in doing back flips into kicks and saving the day. I think one of the Scotts bros would do an amazing job, also, just a guess but since McG is off Superman theres always chance he'll latch on to the next big thing. Or how about David Mamet take the helm!!!! (And script of course)