Mission 782's Anyone Own Them??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_N_H, Jul 23, 2002.

1. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    I have just taken delivery of a pair of Mission 782's which I want to be part of a 2-channel analog system, my turntable is the Project Debut phono and the only spare amp I have in the house is a Denon AVR-1802, I naturally want a 2-channel amp and was wondering if anyone could recommend anything for these speakers from experience?

I was thinking of the Arcam A65+ then to add the Arcam CD62 at a later date, I am not interested in high volume levels just want to be able to use the speakers for relaxing listening purposes.

I also have REL Q150E to be part of this system.

2. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    this is going to sound contradictory, since (a) I "own" a pair, but (b) I can't recommend anything from experience. reason being, they're still "on order" -- probably in a container somewhere between here and UK, and I haven't taken delivery yet [​IMG]
    having said that, from "research" I did (i.e. reading What Hi Fi and other mags), as well as the salesman's comments and auditioning, prior to buying them, it appears that the 782s are fairly neutral speakers, good bass extension (courtesy of the 165mm bass driver mounted sideways), but not very good at high volumes ("headbanger sound levels" is the term used by What HiFi)-- which appears not to be a problem for you. e.g. the SO "complained" that there was a lot of bass when we demo'ed them with Diana Krall's Live in Paris -- but then again her 20" TV has almost NO bass so I guess she's simply not used to it [​IMG]
    I therefore wonder if the REL will be overkill for music. I will be getting a Marantz SR8200 as part of the system (as well as the rest of the Cinema 8 set of speakers), to be mated with an SVS 25-31PCi (tuned to 22), but I intend to use the sub only with movies, and plan to use Source Direct when playing music. of course, this may change as and when I finally get to play with my new toys and try everything out.
    sounds to me that given Denon's good reputation for music, you won't go far wrong with your current setup, plus it's not as if you're buying a new receiver/amp anyway. but does the Denon have a proper phono input though? these appear to be getting phased out on AV receivers these days.
    but give it a try anyway and see what happens.

3. James_N_H

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply, the Denon sounds o.k with the 782's but I use a Marantz SR-7200 with my home cinema system and the 782's sound much better on that than the Denon.

I have read What Hi-Fi's review about the 782's and for their size they do go loud and kick out a commendable amount of bass, they work very well with the REL, which I dont have turned up too high.

The Denon is also too big and dominating which is another reason for wanting a 2-channel amp. The 1802 does have a phono stage input yes, but my turntable has one built in anyway so I cant use it.

I have no experience with the rest of the 78 series apart from a pair of 780's, which for their size are brilliant little speakers, but as a home cinema set-up they should work very well, epsecially connected to an 8200.

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I would guess that the SR7200 outperforms the 1802 on music then. not surprising, given Marantz's reputation for musical amps.

if the turntable has a built-in phono, I think you can then hook it up to the CD input instead, since you don't need the extra amplification the phono input provides. but check with an expert first, I am NOT one... :b

I'll have a look next time I'm at the hifi shop to see what they recommend with the 782s for 2-channel. but aren't there any suggestions in What HiFi?

5. James_N_H

I have the turntable running through the CD, bascially it says in the instructions to connect it to any input that doesnt have a phono stage.

The amps that What Hi-Fi recommend are more than what im willing to spend on one, they recommend amps that are £700-£1000 and I dont want to spend more than £400, although I may add a power amp in a couple of months which will probably add another £400 or so to the cost.