What's new

Missing Warners Titles (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I would like Raintree County to be done properly, also, and that's why I said it's a shame we won't see it for a couple of years, so they CAN do it properly. I'm sorry if you took my comments as pessimistic. I like everyone else have great respect for the care Warner has given to their releases over the past several years, and also wouldn't want to see an inferior product.

Andy

Charles H

Screenwriter
There have been no live chats since the Warner Bros. one on March 8. It seems that with 2005 looming, it's about time that Warners --and the other studios--gave us some info on the prognosis for next year. I wonder if Warners will announce something other than the George Stevens dvds for December/Christmas season? Are there any chats on the horizon?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
"RAINTREE COUNTY" should be a priority.
In its day it was the "GWTW" of the 50s.
Also, I hope they are not waiting until its
50th anniversary in '07 !!!!!!

Claude North

Second Unit
I'd love to see BREWSTER MCCLOUD on DVD. However, IIRC, the rep from Warners said that this was not likely, due to poor laserdisc sales.

Also, I remember reading that Warners will not license their films to other companies.

So, here's a question: if Warners is not interested in releasing BREWSTER MCCLOUD (or whatever film), wouldn't it make sense for them to license it to another company, such as Criterion? At least they'd be making some money from it.

Another Warners title: UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay

I don't agree with that kind of logic. As superior as laserdisc was to VHS, it was a niche medium. DVD has become so mainstream that titles that were previously considered non-profitable have been released and sold well. With so many companies releasing Altman's memorable material (Criterion and MGM), it would be a shame not to consider a DVD release. If Secret Honor or 3 Women, two obscure Altman films, can be released by Criterion, you'd think Warner would consider Brewster McCloud. Didn't their own DVD of McCabe and Mrs. Miller sell well?

Brewster McCloud, Thieves Like Us and Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean are the only other Altman films I want on DVD (other than the films set to be released this year).

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they announce something SOON! I have been waiting patiently since March, to hear anything about all of the titles they seem to be working on. I do have to say, I am willing to wait, IF, they are doing things right! I just hope they haven't put things on hold, to see what the next format will be, and release these titles on that format, to persuade people to change, and update their already large DVD collections. Now, I know it would make more sense, for them to make money off selling titles on DVD, then re-selling hi-def versions in a couple years.

Sorry, just got a little too excited there, so many AMAZING titles on the horizon, I can't wait to buy them!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Um...it's not exactly like Warner hasn't been giving us lots of wonderful product in the 6-7 months since the last chat.

I can think of no other company that has mined its catalog with such care & skill.

Look at the magnificent collections that were released, Marx Bros., Cary Grant, Film Noir, Tarzan, Hitchcock, all very impressive, all looking terrific, most with great special features. August gave us superb DVDs of titles like FREAKS and THE BAD SEED, not to mention the exceptionally impressive Scorsese set. Tomorrow we finally get Polanski's FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS and Tony Scott's THE HUNGER. Next week we get one of my most anticipated DVD sets of the year, the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! COLLECTION plus a new 2 disc SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS and DAMN YANKEES. Then we get LOONEY TUNES #2 and the amazing 4 disc GONE WITH THE WIND (which will probably be the year's best disc release) not to mention a slew of TV stuff that can be discussed in other forums, and December brings George Stevens, and January will bring the titles that won the voting poll, not to mention others that probably haven't been announced yet.

There's only so much one company can do at a time effectively without draining their resources, or not doing the best possible job.

A mere two years ago they were giving us only a smattering of titles and the turnaround has been nothing short of astounding. Were it only possible that other studios would follow WB’s lead when it came to mining the riches in their respective vaults.

WB has promised a lot, and delivered on most of what they promised. They even got rid of those lousy snappers, too!

I know it's much easier to rattle of lists of what hasn't been done, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I feel it's important to give credit where credit is due. Warner is tops in my book, and I'm sure just as their 2004 bettered 2003, they will likely astound us even more in 2005. In Bugs Bunny we trust :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Roger's post above is why I hadn't put any titles in this thread. I am convinced that any worthy Warners title will eventually be released. I am ok with having Warner space them out because of the obvious financial impact.

There are some Warner titles that I would like to have but are probably not viable DVD products (the Perry Mason, Saint and Falcon series for example). However as long as TCM is showing these films, these films will always be available.

Warners has gotten 90% of my DVD spending this year and I see no reason why the trend won't continue into next year.

Steve

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Roger, I fully agree with you that Warner Brothers IS leading the way with the great films they release, and, I also stated that I don't mind waiting if the releases are done right (as they have been!). I guess I a referring to the titles as the Errol Flynn Box-set, that was to have been released this Fall! As of yet, there has been no word on a release, even an announcement regarding postponement. All, I am asking for is a word on when we can expect, or not expect these titles. They have been releasing an AMAZING amount of quality films, and they tend to announce a release a couple months early, but there has not been much talk for about the past month and a half, even the results for DVD Decision were not released in August, as planned, it was almost the middle of September. That being said, I fully respect Warner Bros., and the way they treat us, theLovers ofGreat Films. And, I appreciate the way they pay attention to the requests we make. I only want to make mine heard. Thank You.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I agree with you Derek. Warner is doing a great job.

I think what we have to take into consideration is "what was announced" versus what we were fortunate enough to be told in the HTF chats.

Warner's HTF chats have (not unlike their release schedule) gone from cold and staid affairs to fun, informative and candid sharing of plans and thoughts. It seems only natural that some of what they may have contemplated for this year (Errol Flynn) for example, may have taken longer to restore than they thought, or maybe they are concerned about the huge amount of product coming out at this time of year.
Who knows?

What I assume is that we will have Errol and Cagney and Bette Davis and more Bogart and Garbo and Liz Taylor and a multitude of other great stars coming to DVD in the not too distant future.

I look forward to those titles, and I'm sure there are many here who share our mutual enthusiasm for the films, and appreciation to Warner for the fine job they do bringing them to us.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Warner stated the the release for that set is before the end of the year which could be almost three months from now in December.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

You simply cannot argue with that; I'll take an Errol Flynn box as a Christmas 'gift', but if it's 2005 then I'm happy to wait. Warners are the only studio whose back catalogue classics I buy with confidence. While they continually go forward, others seem to be slipping back - p&s releases from Universal, new Columbia Classics releases that are of a poorer standard than those released in the early days of DVD, MGM releasing non-anamorphic films.

If I had my way I would set Warners releases as a legal standard... ;)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Warner do a GREAT, GREAT job in regard to their DVD releases. They are the most prolific DVD producer-distributor and 9/10 of their releases are of exceptional quality.

But... :D ... I wish that they would ship those Bad Day at Black Rock sets out to retailers already! How long must I suffer! I want to live! Why won't you let me LIVE! ;)

Charles H

Screenwriter
I brought the original issue up of "not hearing" from Warner Bros. since March (and WB was the last company to do a live chat), but it did seem surprising that they did not deliver a "blockbuster" classics title for December. I say that with all due respect for the George Stevens films. And the GONE WITH THE WIND 4-discer and THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT box are givens, but from a marketing standpoint and visibility during the Christmas season, I wonder if something has been postponed for production reasons. I asume the 4-disc (?) WIZARD OF OZ will now come out in 2009. Speculation, however, is just that.

...And Warner Bros. is THE studio when it comes to the classics with respect to quality and quantity. Am looking forward to the Keaton and Looney Tunes sets also.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Many studios avoid big December releases, as it is hard to getpublicity focus, and stores have pretty much stocked up already for Christmas, and a December release doesn't benefit from the huge surge in store traffic right after Thanksgiving.

There are exceptions to this way of thinking. Disney is putting out their latest MARY POPPINS DVD in December, and I believe that MGM had indicated they'd go with RAGING BULL in December (but then changed their minds).

Still Warners is giving us GUNGA DIN in December, which to my way of thinking is not exactly a chopped liver title, plus the BUSTER KEATON MGM Silents with the new Kevin Brownlow documentary. Not bad at all...

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
My seemingly annual request for

Little Dorrit
Bringing Up Baby
A Tale of Two Cities (Ronald Coleman)

This year was great for Warner DVDs, since I got to take A Night at the Opera, I Confess, Stage Fright, Mr. Blandings, and Mel Gibson's Hamlet off the family wish list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks